Weird on-on-on toggle switch.

Started by Samy, March 12, 2007, 02:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samy

I bought this switch: http://www.banzaieffects.com/MEC-M-80008-C-chrome-Toggle-on-on-on-DPDT-pr-13719.html
My problem is, i wanted a 3 position switch, that why i bought on/on/on ... basically I'll use it to change 3 different clipping methods but i just can't find a way to do it !
That might be a little basic for some of you but i don't know if it's my brain it's working OK because of stress or something ... ???
I'll put here the zero's and ones according to the lever position in the upper and lower lugs, the center it's the common:

lever  left side  right side
\               0             0
                1             1

__             0            1
                 1            0

/                1            1
                 0            0

Thanks.

Shed_FX

Hi Samy,

What you have there is a switch that won't do what you want. That could function as a les paul pickup switch so at position one you have the bridge then you have both and then neck pick up. The one you want is the one that is used by loads of people for the sans amp gt-2 its this one -
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=495

Or you could go down the rotary route.

http://www.banzaieffects.com/Rotary-Switch-4x3-Pins-pr-16256.html

Hope that helps

Shed

Samy

Placing in the left column in the upper lug a led, in the lower an Si diode, in the left column en the upper one Si diode and in the lower one Germ. diode i can have 3 different combinations. In the 1st position Si+Germ., in the middle Si+Si, and in the 3rd position led+Si , or so i think ! It's not what i want of course...

petemoore

If two diodes are placed in parallel, one diode will conduct [the one with the lowest threshold, the other won't.
  By adding say Ge's to wherever say an Si or LED still is, the Ge clipping will be heard, the Si's and LED's arent even there AFA the circuit is concerned.
  Maybe this helps, I didn't follow the exact question w/the switching and all, but perhaps you knew this or it doesn't provide a solution with the switch you have, maybe it can be made to work.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

stm

Samy, the switch you purchased is just perfect for the task. In order to use it as a SP3T (single pole triple throw) you need to do as follows:

Lets name the switch terminals as:

A  B
C  D
E  F

Then, do the following:

1) Place a wire jumper between A and D.
2) Connect first input to B
3) Connect second intput to F
4) Connect third input to E
5) Now C will connect to B, F or E depending on which of the three positions the switch is in.

Samy

Thanks stm, it was very very helpfull !
Those positions didn't worked with my switch but it's now quite logical how this must work now, so, here is how i connected my switch.
A B
C D
E F
- One jumper between D and E
- Output lugs are F B and A, the input it's the C

Tested and working 100%.

Thanks.

stm

Great!  So you had to rotate your switch 180ยบ. I played the 50/50% chances with it.