News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Weird pedals

Started by mattpocket, March 23, 2007, 04:27:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

oh, doug, does it matter if the 100k pot is a specific taper?
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

doug deeper

nope!
i use linear taper for both.

mattpocket

Thanks for all the help guys. I am spoilt for choice.

I really dont know what to build now.

So really, asking you knowledgable lot made things worse haha

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

ambulancevoice

Quote from: doug deeper on March 25, 2007, 01:49:17 PM
nope!
i use linear taper for both.

both? where is the second pot?

doug deeper

the 100k resistor around the last two stages used to be a pot.
its the other control mentioned a few posts back, the incorrect schematic will show you were it goes if you choose to use it.

calculating_infinity

Quote from: doug deeper on March 27, 2007, 01:16:39 PM
the 100k resistor around the last two stages used to be a pot.
its the other control mentioned a few posts back, the incorrect schematic will show you were it goes if you choose to use it.

Hrmm, I cant find the incorrect schem to add this 2nd pot.  Would it be the 100k resistor that comes from the collector of the last 3904?  Or is it the one coming from the collector of the pn2222?  I'm sure both guesses are wrong!  If I did wire this pot, lug 1 would go to where one resistor was and where does the wiper and the other lug go?  Ah to be a noob.  Thanks.

-Jonathan

calculating_infinity

Ok I took the time to read how to wire the pot up right  :icon_redface: .  So you can ignore that question.  Still trying to figure out which 100k to sub out (at work).  I read an old post saying it was "the bottom one".  I am going to assume that it is the 100k in the bottom of the schem that comes from collector of the pn2222, which goes to the .01 output cap.  I'm still kind of a newb but really I'm trying to learn  :icon_razz:

Thanks,
-Jonathan

doug deeper

yep thats the one!
so just wire up the pot as a variable resistor and put it in the place of the fixed resistor.
i wouldnt worry about not getting this circuit and being a "NOOB"  :)
the circuit doesnt really make much sence to begin with, i didnt really have to much design knowledge when i came up with it, and it was a whole lot of sticking stuff in randomly till i got something cool.
but it does sound pretty insane and unique.

ambulancevoice

Quote from: doug deeper on March 27, 2007, 11:08:09 PM
yep thats the one!
so just wire up the pot as a variable resistor and put it in the place of the fixed resistor.
i wouldnt worry about not getting this circuit and being a "NOOB"  :)
the circuit doesnt really make much sence to begin with, i didnt really have to much design knowledge when i came up with it, and it was a whole lot of sticking stuff in randomly till i got something cool.
but it does sound pretty insane and unique.

same, as soon as i saw the schematic, i immediately thought that it had it done at random for sake of experimenting
after i build i my buzz box, im gonna do this
what did the second pot do exactly?

smnm

Quote from: doug deeper on March 27, 2007, 11:08:09 PM
yep thats the one!

I found that this pot didn't made much difference to the sound on mine. Since I had the space on the side of the box, I removed it and put in pots in place of the collector resistors on the first 3 transistors. Lots of different sounds now - and the overall output is so huge you can cut the voltages right down and it still makes a huge noise. Reducing power to 1st resistor cuts some of the ear-blistering highs, but maintains the roar. Liking it!
I've tried lots of diff transistors in mine and they change the sound a LOT, especially 1 & 2. Worth messing with.

doug deeper

on a side note, the first two stages make a pretty neat buzzy fuzzzz on there own.

Giglawyer

Sorry if someone already suggested this...

http://www.moosapotamus.net/THINGS/funnycat.htm

The Funny Cat pedal seems like a weird build to me.
Check out my builds - http://www.giglawyer.com

mattpocket

Quote from: tcobretti on March 24, 2007, 01:57:39 AM
8bit, I'm pretty sure the RNG will work with any low hfe transistors.  I remember plugging many into mine and it not making that much of a difference.

I dont suppose the poster of this could post the layout in here as an image, since the layouts gallery is down?

Matt

smnm

Quote from: mattpocket on March 29, 2007, 03:51:59 AM

I dont suppose the poster of this could post the layout in here as an image, since the layouts gallery is down?

I don't think this one's in the layouts gallery - I did a perf layout, just by following Doug's schematic almost exactly. I'm not sure if I drew it up very neatly, but I could scan it for you tonight if you like.

Simon

mattpocket

Someone posted a link to one... if you go back in the topic, I think its on the second page...

Thanks for the offer though, but I am guessing the dude who posted the link will have it on his computer and could post it up here...

Ta!

tcobretti

I made that layout, and strangely I don't have a copy of it.  It's pretty simple, it might be a good time to learn how to make a vero layout.  I'll happily check it for you if you post it here.

BTW, this has nothing to do with the recent unpleasantness.  I honestly don't have a copy.

mattpocket

I am building a random number generator too...

What tranny could I use instead of the PN2222 as I cant find this on smallbear... and please dont just say any low hfe tranny, cos I havent got the foggiest idea what that means! haha if you would care to explain what it means go ahead, and how I would go about finding transistor substitutions in the future...

Thanks

Matt

choklitlove

this is great for transistor subs:
http://aronnelson.com/gallery/The-Mod-Zone-%21/TRANSISTOR_SUBSTITUTION_CHART?full=1

i think the 2N2222 would be the same.  good luck.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

tcobretti

For the purposes of this circuit, I think 2N3904 or 2N4401 would work fine.

doug deeper

id give the 2n4401 a whirl as a sub for the pn2222, a 2n2222a should work as well...
something a little on the noisey unstable side is best.