Fuzz Face into SF Fender (sound clip & schem)

Started by Sam, March 28, 2007, 06:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

In case I feel like adding a mid boost and/or buffer at the output - the simpler the better. Preferably built around a single transistor. Is there any (simple) way of producing a light resonance peak at 500-700 Hz with this single trannie?
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

Sam

forsaknazrael

Wow, this fuzz sounds great! Not harsh, as characterized by many silicon Fuzzes. I think I'll be adding this to the list of fuzzes I want to build.

Just be sure (I'm a bit of a pedal noob), 0V means ground, and there are 4 pots. Fuzz, Volume (that 100K log at the end?) , Treble, and Bias. That VR1 would be a 10K trimpot?

Mark Hammer

Quote from: Sam on May 03, 2007, 05:19:11 AM
Version 0.3: R6 increased to 8.2k.

New soundclip: http://media.putfile.com/Sams-Fuzz-Face-v03

- At 2:00 minutes the "Fuzz" pot is turned back and forth.
- At 2:30 the "Treble" pot is turned back and forth.
- At th end "Bias" is set to minimum.
- Trough out the clip I change pickups and use the volume on the guitar, and ocassionally change fuzz and treble settings.

Some very nice tones, and lots of interesting variations available.  This might be a case where the SWTC (Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control  http://hammer.ampage.org/files/SWTC.gif ) might come in handy.  Your current treble control interacts with the output volume pot, such that turning the treble down results in less output volume.  The SWTC allows for volume to be held constant as treble-cut gets adjusted.

Also, note that C6 and C7 get placed in parallel at max treble, resulting in a treble cut around 5.1khz as you turn the treble up to max.  While there is advantage to having the 2-pole filtering shown in the schem, you may want to:
a) reduce C6 a bit
b) increase C7 a bit
c) insert a fixed resistor (say, 3k3) between R6 and P3 to set minimum treble cut and avoid the "backwards tone" effect noted above at the end of the pot's rotation.

For the SWTC, simply connect C7 to the wiper of the tone pot.  The series resistance just ahead of the volume pot will stay constant, but you'll still be able to vary the treble.

Just a thought.

Sam

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 18, 2007, 04:57:50 PM
Some very nice tones, and lots of interesting variations available.  This might be a case where the SWTC (Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control  http://hammer.ampage.org/files/SWTC.gif ) might come in handy.  Your current treble control interacts with the output volume pot, such that turning the treble down results in less output volume.  The SWTC allows for volume to be held constant as treble-cut gets adjusted.

Also, note that C6 and C7 get placed in parallel at max treble, resulting in a treble cut around 5.1khz as you turn the treble up to max.  While there is advantage to having the 2-pole filtering shown in the schem, you may want to:
a) reduce C6 a bit
b) increase C7 a bit
c) insert a fixed resistor (say, 3k3) between R6 and P3 to set minimum treble cut and avoid the "backwards tone" effect noted above at the end of the pot's rotation.

For the SWTC, simply connect C7 to the wiper of the tone pot.  The series resistance just ahead of the volume pot will stay constant, but you'll still be able to vary the treble.

Just a thought.

Well thank you! Actually I've been thinking about using the SWTC since I got somewhat bothered by the audible drop in overall volume, with the tone at minimum.

As the design still rest on my breadboard I definitely try out your suggested modifications.

Cheers!

Sam

Sam

What kind of buffer would you suggest me putting at the output?

QSQCaito

Here we've got a layout.

It was done based on schematic on reply #25.

It still needs checking. Oh, I already see a mistake, the 4,7n electro, shouldn't be electro..

Help me give this a checkout please ;)

Bye bye

thanks

DAC
D.A.C

QSQCaito

It actually needed nice corrections(it's quite late, haha)

Here are done, I believe it's correct now. But I would prefer to tell you tomorrow morning.

Pot values are per schematic. You can connect 1-2 lugs that are together in the pots. Output ccan be taken directly from lug 2 output pot.

Before doing this check everything fits fine. It does for me and my omponents, but make sure before building.
Transistor pinout is FOR BOTH TRANNIES(althoug one is facing right and other left)
top to bottom: CBE

gone to sleep.

bye

dac
D.A.C

Sam

Sam

Some corrections: The values fror R3-R5 are mixed up and C2 could use just a little more space (I use the large WIMA 1u caps). I'll definitely use this layout for my build (the curcuit still restst on the breadboard).

QSQCaito

Gotta correct that and post PNP as soon as I come back from downtown. I'm going to subscribe to the university :D

bye!

DAC
D.A.C

QSQCaito

If I'm not totally crazy, R3 and R5 are ok. :S R3 is a 1kohm resistor to ground coming from Q2 emitter. And R5 is a 680ohms resistance from 9V to the trim. Tell me if I'm totally wrong please.. I might still be asleep.

I moved C2 for more space.

Shot at 2007-08-02

D.A.C

liquids

The link to these clips is no longer working...
Breadboard it!

Sam

Oh, well. Perhaps it's time to record some new clips. If I might say myself, this circuit sounds quite good in bright Fender amps. I'm very happy with it.