Powdercoated enclosure decals

Started by mcasey1, April 01, 2007, 06:28:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcasey1

I usually order enclosures from Pedal Parts Plus that are already Powder coated as I usually mess up painting.  I see a lot of talk around about different methods of applying lettering, graphics to enclosures.  I was wondering, what would be a good method to use for good results on a powder coated enclosure?  I have never done decals or anything like that.  I would like to pick a route and then learn how to do it.  I just need help picking a route.

dxm1

Here is an in progress look at a powder coated box with inkjet waterslide decal graphics.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w196/pbody_pics/SRIP.jpg

I've found the decals to work well for single color graphics. They look best for dark lettering on a light background.

After I print the artwork on the decal paper, I let it dry overnight. Then, I dust two or three light coats of clear on top. After another overnight dry, I put on an even, heavy clear coat. Another overnight dry. The thick clear top coat prevents shrinkage and ripping of the decal. I also spray some Windex on the enclosure before applying the decal. This both softens the decal, and lets you to move it around for proper positioning.

The most critical part is to carefully remove all of the liquid and air trapped under the decal before it dries. I use a combination of damp paper towels and cotton swabs push the air bubbles to the edge. After drying for several hours, I put two or three heavy coats of clear to seal and blend the edges.

mcasey1

When the decal comes off the backing is it a clear sheet with dark letters on it?  Im supposing you fix the whole sheet on

dxm1

You can get either clear or white decal stock. I normally use clear - I use other stuff for white lettering.

Yes, the example above is one large piece. I use smaller individual decals for the "IN", "OUT", "+9V" etc. graphcs on the side or bottom. With enough coats of clear you can blend the edges nicely...

mcasey1

Any methods for getting a good square transfer?

dxm1

"A steady eye and a firm grip..." Actually, I just eyeball it. A little patience is all you need. If you put a little liquid on the enclosure before sliding the decal on (water,Windex...) you can move it around quite a bit before it dries.

mcasey1

I think my last question is what stores sell waterslide decals.  maybe office depot?  hobby lobby?

dxm1

smallbear has both clear and white. Also, any local hobby shop catering to plastic modelers should carry it.