My =ultimate= multi-fx pedalboard...W.I.P

Started by Auke Haarsma, April 14, 2007, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

Hoi Flo!

There was a conceptual layout posted at page two of this thread. Yeah, it is old, but the basics are still there:
Quote from: Auke Haarsma on April 26, 2007, 07:54:34 AM

Changes have been made to the actual effects. Instead of FX-blocks I have a footswitch for each single effect.

At this time I have these effects:
input->ROG Splitter -> SHO -> Omega -> DOD250 -> TS808 -> Big Muff -> Crunchbox -> RAT -> Box of Rock -> Dr Boogey -> CE2-Chorus -> Phase90 -> NeoVibe -> Trem Lune -> PT80 -> Blender and/or A/B switch

Currently I consider dropping the Crunchbox (I already have the BoR as a marshall imitation) for the Zendrive.

Auke Haarsma

This morning i woke up, got dressed and prepared to go to work. Quickly I glanced over my mutli-fx project. And the thought came to me.... "Those wires from pcb to pot are long.... very long... why not put the pcb's above the pots".

It can be pretty easily done. I drew a pic to illustrate:

Pro: short pot wires. Each effect has pots. Most have 3 pots. So shortening these wires will shorten to total amount of wire(length) quite a bit. And thus reduce the chance of added noise.

Con: the pcbs are more removed from the footswitches. This meanse on avg the the input/output wires will be like 5 cm longer.
Another con: all the work in regard of placing has to be redone. Not a real con.... trial-and-error is part of my whole approach to this project. It is however a setback in time.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Valoosj

Can't you use relais switching or something? So the footswitch's only purpose it to change the status of the relais.
This would involve a lot of work (again :D) but it might solve the issue with the signal running through very long wires.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

flo

So the footswitch is on the PCB and the pots were supposed to be "moved to another place"?
Hmm doing it the other way around does seem to be more effective, wire wise. ;)

I think that some extra wire is not a problem with good:
- buffering
- "driving" capabilities of the buffers
- shielding

Connect the FXs, footswitches etc with coax cable just like you would when it was a regular pedalboard with "discrete" FXs but I think you're already doing that?

sjaltenb

auke, when you get to your grounding stage...let me know what you decide.

im having trouble already just running a signal in and out of the board, no fX, no power, nothing. just connecting two jacks tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve while grounding the sleeve to 9v-...

i get a really annoying little buzzzz

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Valoosj on October 28, 2008, 09:12:13 AM
Can't you use relais switching or something? So the footswitch's only purpose it to change the status of the relais.
This would involve a lot of work (again :D) but it might solve the issue with the signal running through very long wires.
Ej Yorick! Relay is a good option, but would require quite a bunch of new hardware. I'd like to tackle this issue with rearranging instead of rebuilding, if you know what I mean. And my target is to have at least some parts working before November 22nd... :D

Quote from: flo on October 28, 2008, 05:13:58 PM
So the footswitch is on the PCB and the pots were supposed to be "moved to another place"?
Hmm doing it the other way around does seem to be more effective, wire wise. ;)
It is just the same as 'normal' single effects. A pcb, pots with wires and a footswitch. Since I use the Mil2 Bypass I have a pcb for the footswitch as well. However, the footswitch does route the signal. And since the footswitches are further away from the pcb than normally, that increases the amount of wire the signal has to travel through. Just to clear things up, but I think you already understood what I just wrote ;)

Quote from: flo on October 28, 2008, 05:13:58 PM
I think that some extra wire is not a problem with good:
- buffering
- "driving" capabilities of the buffers
- shielding

Connect the FXs, footswitches etc with coax cable just like you would when it was a regular pedalboard with "discrete" FXs but I think you're already doing that?
Buffers are a serious option. I have not put them in place yet (nor designed them), but I will if necessary. Firstly I'd like to connect all the effects to see if buffers are even required.

Coax-cable.... that's thick cable. I may have to use it. Do you know a source for thin, shielded cables? The size of the wire we normally use, but then just a little bit thicker because of the added shielding? Remeber, I need to run FOUR wires between the Footswitch and the Effect/Channel Selector. (that's why I picked a telephone-cable for this job now)

Currently I have all effects, switches, selectors etc on the same powersupply. Maybe I'll breadboard a regulated PS with 78L09's to see if that cures some of the noise.

Quote from: sjaltenb on October 28, 2008, 05:36:49 PM
auke, when you get to your grounding stage...let me know what you decide.

im having trouble already just running a signal in and out of the board, no fX, no power, nothing. just connecting two jacks tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve while grounding the sleeve to 9v-...

i get a really annoying little buzzzz
Sorry to hear about your buzz! I don't have a buzz (yet.....) but I have just 4 effects hooked up as of now. Keep an eye on this thread, the Grounding stage will be taken care of here eventually ;)

Auke Haarsma

Thanks Floris!

Those conrad-links never work for me when copied, but I could extract the product number out of it ;)

Especially #600807 looks very interesting.

4 wires: Check! I need 4
Shielded: Check! Double shielded!Shielded against outside interference and against crosstalk.

Good call!

flo

You're welkom.
I'm curious on how all the shielding and grounds will be connected without getting massive ground loops. Perhaps when you reach that point you can share your ideas on this?

Auke Haarsma

uhm... that's a topic still 'under investigation'... ;)

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Auke Haarsma on October 29, 2008, 07:25:25 AM
Especially #600807 looks very interesting.

4 wires: Check! I need 4
Shielded: Check! Double shielded!Shielded against outside interference and against crosstalk.

Good call!
This one has been ordered and shipped. Hopefully I can do some rewire-ing this weekend. Expect updates!

flo

Do you connect the shielding only on one side to avoid groundloops?

ianmgull

alfafalfa

Hi Auke ,

Looks impressing your project . What I am curious about is what amp(s) are you going to use ?
Tube or transistor ?  I am asking because in my experience the rangemaster only sounds good through a tubeamp. But that's just my opinion.

Alf

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: ianmgull on November 01, 2008, 02:04:58 AM
Quote from: flo on October 31, 2008, 09:29:16 PM
Do you connect the shielding only on one side to avoid groundloops?
Yes.
Thanks for chiming in here! That is an answer I was looking for too ;)

Quote from: alfafalfa on November 01, 2008, 05:30:17 AM
Hi Auke ,
Looks impressing your project . What I am curious about is what amp(s) are you going to use ?
Tube or transistor ?  I am asking because in my experience the rangemaster only sounds good through a tubeamp. But that's just my opinion.
Alf
Thanks Alf, good to see you again! I have two tube-amps. A Vox AC30 CC1 and a small Epi Valve Jr head. So far I've been really pleased with the sound of both amps (although they are in completely different leagues!).

Conrad-package just arrived: I can continue :D

Auke Haarsma

A little while back I said:
Quote from: Auke Haarsma on October 28, 2008, 08:22:46 AM
This morning i woke up, got dressed and prepared to go to work. Quickly I glanced over my mutli-fx project. And the thought came to me.... "Those wires from pcb to pot are long.... very long... why not put the pcb's above the pots".

It can be pretty easily done. I drew a pic to illustrate:

And it turned out like this:

Those two unpopulated PCB's are the Neutron and the BSIAB2. Box of Rock and Crunchbox are dropped. Neutron was picked after advice in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=72010.0

As you see, still 'Work in Progress'. Two effects do not fit in the row. The neovibe is simply too big. I am going to put it as you see it on the pic (with stands ofcourse). The Trem Lune will stand next to the vibe.

I can now already say this is a pretty good idea. It shortens so many wires... just consider an avg of 3 pots per effect, 3 wires per pot, 14 fx. Easily saves me 5 cm per wire.... well if that wild guess is midly correct: over 5 METERS of (unshielded) wire saved.

The input/output wires will be longer, true. However, those wires are shielded, so length does not matter as much.

ianmgull

Looks great!!!! Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!

Valoosj

You've got your work cut out for you by next Saturday... It's looking good though.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

bdevlin

For what it's worth.  On that Neutron.  I tried the H11F3 (sp?) chip option and it did not work well for me.  You may want to buy parts to allow yourself the ability to try all options.  Or, in the very least, search this forum to see what others used.

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: ianmgull on November 12, 2008, 03:17:21 PM
Looks great!!!! Very inspiring! Keep up the good work!
Thanks! You keep me going ;)

Quote from: Valoosj on November 12, 2008, 06:08:33 PM
You've got your work cut out for you by next Saturday... It's looking good though.
I'll be there. And I'll have my multi-fx with me. I do not know for sure if it will be finished completely, or functionally finished. I guess the latter...

Quote from: bdevlin on November 13, 2008, 11:01:36 AM
For what it's worth.  On that Neutron.  I tried the H11F3 (sp?) chip option and it did not work well for me.  You may want to buy parts to allow yourself the ability to try all options.  Or, in the very least, search this forum to see what others used.
Thanks, I stil have to order some parts and will keep this in mind!