Can this light sensor be used as switch?

Started by mattpocket, April 25, 2007, 07:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpocket

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Electronic+Components&tier2=Optoelectronics&tier3=Optoelectronic+Devices&tier4=Light+sensor&moduleno=71643

Can this be used as a switch, i.e. dark=off, light=on? I am thinking LED/shrinktube/light sensor set-up! :o

Thanks

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

gez

Quote from: mattpocket on April 25, 2007, 07:26:59 AM
Can this be used as a switch, i.e. dark=off, light=on?

That's what it says on the tin.  This device is a new one on me.  Looks like it's polarised though, and also that it needs DC connection, but the data sheet is a bit sketchy so who knows what you can get away with?

It's only a switch - on/off operation only by the look of things - so it's not going to work as a LDR, but a chop tremolo could possibly be designed around it as switching isn't instantaneous ('slow' ramp up/down, so less chance of clicking).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

puretube

mattpocket

I reckon I am going to pick a few up on my next visit to rapid... I will let you know how it goes...

Is 8.5ms a slow ramp up?!

So it does, its a photo diode, so can it be used as on/off switching?

Matt

gez

Quote from: mattpocket on April 26, 2007, 03:12:42 AM
Is 8.5ms a slow ramp up?!

Everything is relative, but compared with CMOS switching (which is measured in nanoseconds), then turn on is 'slow'

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Quote from: mattpocket on April 26, 2007, 03:12:42 AM
So it does, its a photo diode, so can it be used as on/off switching?

Signal or power?  Either way, it looks like a poor choice to me, but I've never used them...

mattpocket

I was going to use it for signal switching with a kind of LED sequencer... another stupid idea of mine! haha

Would an optocoupler work better?

Matt

gez

Quote from: mattpocket on April 27, 2007, 02:55:17 AM
Would an optocoupler work better?

IIR, one of the Way Huge pedals uses a MOSFET opto for switching.  Can't remember the name of the pedal so can't link to the schematic.  Anyone?