Univox Unidrive...... hmmmm.... this doesn't sound right

Started by Bernardduur, April 29, 2007, 04:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slideman82

Well, it's too late, but... this is a great fuzz! IMHO, it sounds like almost fuzz gotta sound! Here are some mods: try lowering the input cap, just a toggle DPDT with the schematic cap, and try some lower, like 10n, if I remember correctly my experience. Oh, and try a MOSFET as last tranny, this will turn the clean sound cleaner... and, finally, Ge trannies will sound similar, no big difference.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

Bernardduur

The only problem now is that the original question is back again :)

When I strum too hard or play a chord I get a really bad fuzz like sound that sounds like a gating or something. It varies in range and gets less when the note dies out. Is this normal??? I really dislike it..........

Voltages: Q1 = 2.3V, Q2 = 4.5V, Q3 = 9V, collector.

Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

slideman82

Ok, here's what you have to do: take out the colector resistor of the 1st and 2nd tranny, take 2 pots, and solder 2 cables from the 1st and 2nd lug, turn the pot clockwise full, and then solder each cable to it's respective PCB point of the collector reistor, over the back side. Thean measure about 4.5V adjusting the pots, from the collector to ground. Finallay, unsolder those pots, measure it resistance, and place the closer value of resistor to the value you've measured. Aske me again if you don't understand it well!. Oh, 250k for the first pot, 20k or 25k for the second.

Bernardduur

So both Q1 as Q2 should be 4.5V??? As Q2 is already 4.5V

slideman82

DougH

QuoteWOw, that looks like a fuzz face with an output buffer.

Circuit-wise it is similar- but there is a lot of global negative feedback (8.2k resistor).

QuoteWhen I strum too hard or play a chord I get a really bad fuzz like sound that sounds like a gating or something. It varies in range and gets less when the note dies out. Is this normal??? I really dislike it..........

Something is wired wrong or there is an incorrect value component installed. You should not have to insert trimmers or pots or re-bias it at all. It will work as drawn with just about any NPN Si transistor you can get your hands on.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Bernardduur

Quote from: DougH on November 19, 2007, 01:30:54 PM
QuoteWOw, that looks like a fuzz face with an output buffer.

Circuit-wise it is similar- but there is a lot of global negative feedback (8.2k resistor).

QuoteWhen I strum too hard or play a chord I get a really bad fuzz like sound that sounds like a gating or something. It varies in range and gets less when the note dies out. Is this normal??? I really dislike it..........

Something is wired wrong or there is an incorrect value component installed. You should not have to insert trimmers or pots or re-bias it at all. It will work as drawn with just about any NPN Si transistor you can get your hands on.

Yeah, I thought so too...... but this is the second time I build it with different components and still the same problem stays

DougH

That print is hard to read. Make sure you know where the "dots" are.

The 100k does not connect to the Q1 emitter, for example. 8.2k does not connect to Q2 emitter, etc..
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."