SEVEN : A highly tweakable silicon fuzz.

Started by Dragonfly, May 06, 2007, 12:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

MartyMart

I get it ...... seven knobs !!!!
Very cool Andy :D ... and nice to see your still around !
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

solarplexus

This is just awesome!!  More knobs!!!

Way cool!

Matt
DIY Poser.

aron

Is that a booster into a Fuzz Face? That should make some fuzz for sure. What did you use to draw the schematic?

Gus

3 transistor/rocket meets the F factory with a twist?

I see a few things I would do different. 

IIRC I was the first one to share the use of an emitter degeneration resistor in a schematic yeh before the YAFF.
  I also worked out the gain for the first stage  to be closer to the openloop gain of a Ge it was math and ear. Yeh emitter degen is nothing new BUT I did not see it on the web or a FF type distortion  until I shared it(the 1964 GE transistor maunal has two transistor circuit like the FF with a Q1 emitter resistor they were used in hifi etc nothing new).  I am bringing this up because of some the threads here.

People seem to like the Rocket distortion section.  I built a Si f fac type years ago one of a few circuits I don't share.

Dragonfly

Quote from: aron on May 06, 2007, 01:16:21 PM
Is that a booster into a Fuzz Face? That should make some fuzz for sure. What did you use to draw the schematic?

I'm "old school"...I drew it up in MS Paint.

If you want, I could put up a schematic template in my folder.

IMO, Dano (Beavis) has a better looking template, but this works just fine.

It will get everything from a transistor OD type sound all the way to "over the top" fuzz. :)

Dragonfly

Quote from: Gus on May 06, 2007, 01:16:51 PM
3 transistor/rocket meets the F factory with a twist?

definitely in that "family"...basically a modded silicon FF with a booster front end. You could vary the transistors to change the tonality, but any NPN should give good results.

I see a few things I would do different. 
if you get a chance, or the "desire", i'd love to hear your thoughts...

IIRC I was the first one to share the use of an emitter degeneration resistor in a schematic yeh before the YAFF.
  I also worked out the gain for the first stage  to be closer to the openloop gain of a Ge it was math and ear. Yeh emitter degen is nothing new BUT I did not see it on the web or a FF type distortion  until I shared it(the 1964 GE transistor maunal has two transistor circuit like the FF with a Q1 emitter resistor they were used in hifi etc nothing new).  I am bringing this up because of some the threads here.

People seem to like the Rocket distortion section.  I built a Si f fac type years ago one of a few circuits I don't share.

I definitely can understand about being "selective" about what you share ;)

have a great day Gus !

idiot savant

looks neat! shouldn't that 1uf input cap be the other way 'round? Anyways,very nice work, I've always thought the FF type circuits sound best when pushed up front. gonna have to give this one a try.

-Morgan

Dragonfly

Quote from: idiot savant on May 06, 2007, 01:39:30 PM
looks neat! shouldn't that 1uf input cap be the other way 'round? Anyways,very nice work, I've always thought the FF type circuits sound best when pushed up front. gonna have to give this one a try.

-Morgan

yep...missed that. the schemo is corrected now !!

thanks !

mac

At least the schematic looks fancy... Going to try it.

QuoteI'm "old school"...I drew it up in MS Paint.

Aren't we all "old school"... Ge, valves, OT...

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt install ECC83 EL84

tcobretti

It's great to have you back, Andy.

That one looks good, like a Tonebender on steroids.

Barcode80

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Quote from: tcobretti on May 06, 2007, 05:22:09 PM
It's great to have you back, Andy.

That one looks good, like a Tonebender on steroids.

thanks...i'm just "stopping by" :)

Barcode80

i've got a few extra micro sized pcb mount pots laying around, i might just see if i can fit this in a BB!!!

Dragonfly

Quote from: Barcode80 on May 06, 2007, 05:43:37 PM
i've got a few extra micro sized pcb mount pots laying around, i might just see if i can fit this in a BB!!!

you might need vaseline and a shoehorn !

:)

jlullo

ac,
thank you for this!  i'll have to give this a shot after i'm done with the 4 builds i'm doing right now :)

Dragonfly

Its really a pretty standard circuit....

Marcos - Munky

Wow!!! A New circuit!!! Looks very interesting. Yeah, a standart circuit, but yet interesting. What about a booster on/off switch? So there's "two channels": a FF sound and a boosted FF sound.

Steben

I see we all have fallen for rounded "fillet" wiring schematics. ;D

Some remarks: I think seven is maybe too much.
- since the "sustain" pot gives gain compensation, the 100ohm resistor at Q2's emitter is possibly not necessary
- nor does the "fuzz" pot very much different, unless you make the bypass cap very small, giving the "fuzz" control frequency dependancy.
- "boost" = same remarks as on "fuzz"
- "sag", "tone", "bias": hell yeah, why not!  ;D

Don't we just love the phono preamp .... euhm sorry, the "Fuzz Face" or what ?!
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them