News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Double Rat Idea.

Started by emilyandmiles, May 09, 2007, 06:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilyandmiles

After far too much faffing around I've decided I'd much rather have two dist/vol channels on my rat than the ruetz mod knob and tone knob, so was looking at the pic below from the byoc board and was wondering whether this would work for my byoc Rat?

I've had a look at both schem's and am a bit puzzled as the TS's Vol seems to work slightly different to the Rats, although Dist pots can be wired the same from what I can tell.

Could anybody tell me whether this would work for my Rat?

Anyone tried something similar?

Thoughts, suggestions and ideas welcome.

Thanks, Miles

Processaurus

Good move, the option of having different volumes available with something that compresses (like distortion) is so handy for live music.  The drive pots look good (except aren't they 100K usually?) but the volumes are wrong, you'd want to parallel the outer lugs of each (1 and 3 on each pot to L1 and L3, respectively, on your diagram), and connect L2 on the board to the common on the middle pole of your 3pdt stompswitch (5), and hook 4 and 6 on that switch up to the two volume pot's wipers (the lug in the middle).  The rat volume pot works as a volume control by acting as a adjustable voltage divider, with the wiper setting how the voltage is getting divided.

emilyandmiles

That's fantastic, thankyou.
I'll get some pics up once it's done.
Cheers : )

Andre

Since my (Tonepad) RAT already was my favourite distortion, I really like the idea of a double RAT.

So I build one and I'm very happy with it.
Pity for my Distortion + which is unemployed now. :(

There's 2 pics in the pictures thread page 126.

André

emilyandmiles

So for an update.....
All worked just as planned, a first for me! LOL
Board is from BYOC and switch is their mod.
Red/Green LED on left always on for channel select, Yellow (looks awful, changing back to blue tonight) LED to show bypass status.
Extra holes from previous enclosure uses.
And believe it or not the wiring is pretty tidy for me : )
Finally got round to posting pics....
Thanks Ben.
Andre... is the fifth pot for the filter?

anti-idiot

Quote from: Andre on May 22, 2007, 07:45:55 AM
Since my (Tonepad) RAT already was my favourite distortion, I really like the idea of a double RAT.

So I build one and I'm very happy with it.
Pity for my Distortion + which is unemployed now. :(

There's 2 pics in the pictures thread page 126.

André

if u dont need it, maybe i can use it lol

what's the main difference between those 2 FX? any soundclips?
If I was God you'd sell your soul to...

Andre

QuoteAndre... is the fifth pot for the filter?

Yes, and I have grouped the 2 distortion pots and the 2 volume pots together to make wiring easier.

Quoteif u dont need it, maybe i can use it lol

Only if you come and pick it up yourself  :)

Quotewhat's the main difference between those 2 FX? any soundclips?

The rat in my opinion has more distortion and sounds more compressed than the D+, and of course has a filter (tone) pot which makes it more versatile.
No soundclips at the moment I'm afraid, but maybe I can make one tonight.

André