News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DPDT or 3PDT ?

Started by brett, May 17, 2007, 04:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi
The price difference for me between a DPDT (and LED switching circuit) and 3PDT is about US$2.30, which would usually be a no-brainer.  BUT..

I'm doing a small production run of pedals (100), so the total difference is US$230 which is enough to warrant some deeper thoughts about the pros and cons of each approach.

What would you do?

• Use DP3T?
  • Use DPDT?
  • Do something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Auke Haarsma

what about a DPDT with a millenium2 bypass?

I'm sure you'll have your pcb's manufactured, so you can include the Mill section on the boards. With some inexpensive extra parts (diodes, etc) you can still save like $200 and have a good Bypass.

Mark Hammer

Don't know what sort of DPDT you are considering as the alternative, but the small footprint on the 3PDTs I've seen and used is worth its weight in gold.  DPDTs often come in form factors that have the solder lugs spreading outwards, and that ends up producing some layout and spacing issues.  If one chooses to use a smaller box like a 1590B, 3PDTs offer considerable advantage in terms of what you have the freedom to position where.  Sometimes that can mean the difference between noise and no noise, conveniently vs inconveniently-located wallwart jacks, battery snaps at risk of tearing vs those more protected from damage.

ulysses

customers expect 3pdt.. i think its a no brainer.. give em what they want..

cheers
ulysses