Two singles vs one dual opamp?

Started by raulgrell, May 19, 2007, 06:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raulgrell

I have encountered some circuits that choose to use two 071's instead of one 072.

Are there any advantages to using this?

Would the same apply for a circuit using say: 4 singles, or 2 duals, or 1 quad...

Meanderthal

No advantage, except if it somehow makes the layout simpler. Will work the same either way, 4,2,1, etc.
I am not responsible for your imagination.

Ardric

Single opamps often have a few extra pins for tweeking or trimming the opamp itself.   The duals and quads don't have these.  If you need to use them for some reason, you have to use a single.

Duals and quads all share common power supply connections outside of the chip.  Sometimes when you really bang around one of the opamps, like in a distortion circuit, signal can bleed into the others.  Seperate chips are an easy way to avoid this.

I find for me that duals are the best compromise.  Singles take up too much room, and quads can make the layout more difficult.

jaytee

The 5534 offers slightly better performance than a 5532 so maybe it's the same with 071/072.

R.G.

And the cigar goes to ....

Meanderthal!
QuoteNo advantage, except if it somehow makes the layout simpler. Will work the same either way, 4,2,1, etc.
I would say "no audible advantage", since I have a clear preference for duals. Duals make layouts easier and cost about the same as singles. Quads make layout hard at the savings of only two power pins over two duals.

Honorable mention to Ardic.
QuoteSingle opamps often have a few extra pins for tweeking or trimming the opamp itself.   The duals and quads don't have these.  If you need to use them for some reason, you have to use a single.
I find for me that duals are the best compromise.  Singles take up too much room, and quads can make the layout more difficult.
This is absolutely true. However, today's opamps are so good and the need for tweaking so seldom that it's very unusual to need these functions. IMHO the layout issues are preeminent.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

raulgrell

What are these tweaking functions? What differences can one achieve?

markm

If I'm not mistaken, I would say any of the "tweaking" would be to stabilize the op-amp and to avoid ocilliation.

spudulike

Nearly all of the so-called tweaks are for offset null adjustments - means 0 in = 0 out.
Some have an external compensation cap to tailor the freq response.