trying to find the right IC for a Ross Compressor...

Started by wheelsock8, May 21, 2007, 11:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheelsock8

I found this Ross Compressor project. The problem is, it calls for a Transconductance Operational Amplifier, and the part number it gives seems to be obsolete. Anyone have recommendations on where I can get an appropriate IC? I plan on ordering from Digikey if they carry these.

Here's the project.

http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=148&Itemid=175

Thanks

G.Neyrey

CA3080E? Obsolete indeed.

http://www.americanmicrosemi.com/home/
These guys have 112 of 'em in stock. At $8.98 a piece. Yikes!

http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html
Small Bear has 'em for a much more reasonable price.......$2.50

Mark Hammer

THe LM3080 from National Semiconductor also replaces it.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 22, 2007, 07:29:06 AM
THe LM3080 from National Semiconductor also replaces it.

...not that it is in production either! "last time buy date 03/10/98" thanks for nothing National :icon_mad:

R.G.

Half of an NJM13700 works fine too. Bit of effort shoehorning it in, but it works.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Maybe so, but at least it gives you another part number to ask/look for.

wheelsock8

will probably go with the one from small bear...looks like it will work fine and have always had a good experience ther

markm

NTE offers a sub for the CA3080, can't remember the part number though.  ::)

O

Quote from: markm on May 22, 2007, 09:03:56 PM
NTE offers a sub for the CA3080, can't remember the part number though.  ::)

NTE996 but it seems to be obsolete too, according to Mouser.

mdh

FWIW, I tried ordering the NTE sub (NTE996) from my local supplier in Sacramento, and they couldn't get it from their distributor.  And even if they had been able to get it, the price would have been about what Steve (Smallbear) charges.  So I figure I'll get a couple next time I order from Steve.  Until then, no Dynacomp for me.

O

Well poop... is it time to panic yet? (flashback to the SAD4096).

:icon_eek:

hairyandy

Hey guys,

I have a couple sleeves of 3080E's, probably about 80 all told.  I found them a couple months back at a surplus store in Colorado Springs for $0.32 each!  Obviously I bought all that they had at that price.  I don't want to sell these as that's Steve's gig not mine, but if anyone needs a couple I'd be glad to give you one or two, or maybe trade for something that I need like Burr Brown IC's.  I don't really have any good foam to ship them in either, maybe I'll try to find some packing peanuts and just stick the 3080E into the peanut to ship?  I'll figure it out.

These chips are RCA and some of them are marked 3080E, and some are 3080EX, 3080OE, and 3080OEX.  I don't know what the differences are but I'm sure they'll all work fine for a Ross comp.  If anyone wants one just email me here:

andy AT andyharrison DOT net

Thanks,

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery