|     |
                        -     v  clipping diodes
                        ^     -
                        |     |
                        +--+--+
                           |
                           V
                         to 1/2V

I just tried this mod, and while it did improve the Dry-only mode on my CE-3 (psuedo-vibe), I definately noticed a lack of depth in chorus mode.  I ended up switching it back to the stock triangle wave.  Anyone else who tried this notice a perceived lack of depth to the effect?  Mine was pretty substantial, but if I was intending to use this as a straight-vibe unit, I'd probably keep the mod, but since I'm more of a chorus guy I need all the depth I can get.  Thanks for the cool mod though, it was fun to have a go at!
- witty sig -

Joe Kramer

Hey joelap,  glad you tried it!

I find I get plenty of chorus depth on mine with the diodes in place, but I adjusted the series resistance while looking at the waveform on a scope.  That's why I said there's some tweaking involved, because different diodes will give very different results.  If you don't have a scope (or free software like Visual Anyalyzer--highly reccomended!), you can use a 100k pot or trimmer and adjust by ear until you get both enough depth and a smoother waveshape.  With a very smallest resistance, the diodes pretty much crunch the wave into a near-square.  With no resistance, the LFO will stop oscillating.    With higher resistance, the diodes won't conduct, so you will not get any waveshaping and a smaller output from the LFO.  But there is a happy medium to be found if you decide you like the effect.  Actually I think I like the chorus sound better with the sine wave than the triangle. . . .

EDIT: Another mod for getting more depth is to use a bigger value pot for the DEPTH control, like 1M or so, which puts less load on the LFO.  But it might be sort of a chore finding a pot small enough to fit in there. . . .

I wonder if I should post this mod as a new thread?

Regards,
Joe
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

joelap

I used 5mm Green LEDs.  Unfortunately, I don't know how to use Visual Analyzer, and I was forced to sell off my multimeter during a rough time during the semester when I needed cash.  I just grabbed a multimeter that should arrive within a week, nothing crazy but it was autoranging and only 25 bucks shipped!

If I can figure out how to use visual analyzer, then I'll give it another shot.
- witty sig -