4PDT Stomp Switches

Started by smallbearelec, May 29, 2007, 02:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

I apologize for all the past false hopes and blown expectations. It took the manufacturer a long time to get the machining all straight.  However, I do now have these on the shelf in decent quantity, my SKU 0200A, $12.00 in small lots.

SD

rockgardenlove

Awesome!

Though personally, I must admit I'm waiting for the Alpha 9mm ZVex style pots.   8)

mattpocket

Can someone say what kind of things we'll be using these for?

Matt
Built: LofoMofo, Dist+, Active AB Box, GGG 4 Channel Mixer, ROG Omega
On the Bench:Random Number Generator, ROG Multi-face, Speak & Spell
--------------------------------------------
My Pop-Punk Band - www.myspace.com/stashpocket

the recluse

I have a stereo tremolo build that I could use one of these to do true-bypass on both inputs.  I believe another common application would be to use it for on/off switching with multiple status LEDs.

Pushtone

Quote from: mattpocket on May 29, 2007, 03:04:12 PM
Can someone say what kind of things we'll be using these for?

Matt

Stereo bypass
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Barcode80

also as a master bypass for dual effect boxes.

dmk

resistance is futile...
...if <1Ω

B_of_H

All I want to know is when the 5pdt footswitch is coming out.   :icon_wink:

Mark Hammer

These can also be used for order switching in a dual-function pedal.  For example, swapping the order of a fuzz and wah in a fuzz-wah pedal, or phaser and fuzz in a fuzz-phaser pedal.  They can also be used for switching the cap values in a phaser to "Univibe" it.

mattpocket

swapping four caps for four different caps?

Matt

rogerinIowa

finally I can toggle between Dyna and Rosscomp modes with my foot!
friends dont let friends use stock pedals.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Can't remember how many caps change when you 'univibe' something.. but this could handle it :icon_wink:

mattpocket

Think I will have to wait for someone to make a little layout or drawing of how it would work before I understand it properly...

Matt

Brett Sinclair

Quote from: rogerinIowa on May 29, 2007, 09:16:47 PM
finally I can toggle between Dyna and Rosscomp modes with my foot!

I asked about the necessity of a 4PDT before (http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=57426.msg445839)... why can't you simply break the connection with the caps and ground?

runmikeyrun

Quote from: B_of_H on May 29, 2007, 05:06:02 PM
All I want to know is when the 5pdt footswitch is coming out.   :icon_wink:

well steve you KNEW that request was going to come next, right??

I say, bring it on!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Mark Hammer

To all those who rub their hands with glee about such matters, I offer the following advice: MAKE SURE YOU LET THE SWITCH COOL OFF BETWEEN EACH SOLDER JOINT!!

I've found that the dab of grease the manufacturer puts in to temporarily hold the rocker contact in place during assembly can liquify when there is too much heat buildup.  When it liquifies it tends to flow along the contact and completely coat it, leading to switch failure.  You CAN disassemble the switch and wipe the flowed grease off, but it is a PITA, and I imagine all the moreso with a 4PDT.  So, get in and get out quickly when you solder, and don't give heat a chance to build up.  I am quite confident that the build quality on these switches is as good as any.  We don't need heat-precipitated switch failure turning into rumours turning into accepted wisdom.  Use them properly and they should delight you for years of unfailing service.

ulysses

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on May 29, 2007, 10:08:49 PM
Can't remember how many caps change when you 'univibe' something.. but this could handle it :icon_wink:

at least 3, maybe 4 depending on the caps you choose..

cheers
ulysses

Jamforthelamb

Awesome!
Now I will be able to build my Podxt/analog pedalboard A/B switcher with indicating LEDs!

Hmm....I wonder if I can make one fit in my Small Stone... :icon_smile:

Thanks!
JFTL

MikeH

Another thing these can be handy for is creating a faux 2-channel distortion, a la plexitube and the like.  For instance in a tube screamer you can switch the resistor that sets the gain, a different volume pot for the "lead volume", maybe a little fatter, or a little sharper..., one for the LED... and voila.  A 2 channel on the fly tube screamer with lead and rhythm channels.  The possibilities are endless... or 4, depending on how you look at it.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

mattpocket

Oh, I think I would be able to build an amp channel and effect loop switcher with one switch! Oooh! Cool!