Greene Glasspak questions

Started by Ben N, May 29, 2007, 02:55:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

John:

The samples on your page sound amazing. I would love to just buy one, but while I think the price is fair, it is still more than I generally spend for an amp. If I were gigging I would consider it money well spent, but that isn't the case. Also, you have been pretty generous about sharing your expertise around here, including the Glasspak's mosfet clippers, and while I would not expect a schematic, I wonder if you could answer a couple of questions:

Is the Glasspak similar to your Screamer+, but with Mosfet/Ge clippers and other tweaks? Is the Boost setting an extra pot in the feedback loop, like the Screamer+, or an added stage? And any other goodies you might want to throw out there to DIY-land.

BTW, I don't feel that I or anyone else is "entitled" to any of this stuff, so if the answer is "no," that is absolutely cool. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

markm

Curious about this.....what is it?  ???

johngreene

Quote from: Ben N on May 29, 2007, 02:55:47 PM
John:

Is the Glasspak similar to your Screamer+, but with Mosfet/Ge clippers and other tweaks? Is the Boost setting an extra pot in the feedback loop, like the Screamer+, or an added stage? And any other goodies you might want to throw out there to DIY-land.

Ben

The short answer is 'no' to your questions. Except that the 'boost' function is an additional stage. It really is a 'boost'.

It basically has 3 different types of clipper/distortion 'sections' if you will.

The tone control is almost the same as a tube screamer, I tried dozens of times to make it 'better' but it always killed the best part of its sound. So, once I sold a few I considered the design frozen and haven't changed it since. Getting close to 10 years now....

--john
I started out with nothing... I still have most of it.

Ben N

Quote from: johngreene on May 29, 2007, 06:22:56 PM
Except that the 'boost' function is an additional stage. It really is a 'boost'.

Before the clipping section, I take it.

QuoteIt basically has 3 different types of clipper/distortion 'sections' if you will.

Now that is a tantalizing tidbit.

Thanks!
  • SUPPORTER

johngreene

Quote from: Ben N on May 29, 2007, 06:35:18 PM
Quote from: johngreene on May 29, 2007, 06:22:56 PM
Except that the 'boost' function is an additional stage. It really is a 'boost'.

Before the clipping section, I take it.

Yes.

and No.  :icon_wink:

Quote from: Ben N on May 29, 2007, 06:35:18 PM
QuoteIt basically has 3 different types of clipper/distortion 'sections' if you will.

Now that is a tantalizing tidbit.

Thanks!

np.

Ben N

The sound you are hearing is a head being scratched in a puzzled sort of way... :icon_confused:

But ok, at some point I just have to try stuff, I guess.
  • SUPPORTER

johngreene