One more Small Stone issue

Started by ignsk, May 30, 2007, 12:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ignsk

Hi every one,
I purchased a disfunctionnal Small Stone mkII on ebay (I knew it did not work when I did ) and I still have some problem to make it work.
As everyone seems to advice it, I resoldered each pin as Electro Harmonix seems to be famous for their sh**y ones. I also changed the 3 electro caps (for the same reason). I changed the wires to the jacks and power and triple check the connections.
I plugged every thing right but still no phasing  :icon_sad: . While turning the rate pot and switching the color, I noticed that sound was changing (...a bit  :icon_rolleyes:)
So I did some debugging around :
I replaced the lfo part of the circuit with a "manual" one (one pot connected to V+, ground and the wire that goes to each pin 5 of the EH1048 (all ICs are EH1048)) and I heard the phasing so I suppose that 4 of the ICs are good and that nearly all the circuit is working.  :icon_biggrin:
My main issue seems to be the LFO part of the effect only
Continuing my debug work, I just can't find out why this lfo does not oscilate. I'm afraid that the precious EH1048 is fried but I don't know how to be certain of that. Do I have to get a CA3094 and replace it to be certain?
When I trace the out pin (n°6) of th IC in the LFO there is a constant signal of 0.8V. Would a fried IC produce that voltage at its out pin?
Does anyone know how this lfo works (I don't understand very well that part with the color stuff  ??? ) so I could find out if another part of the LFO is fried (BC309 trani or even a resistor - even though they look good).

Maybe I should start another thread for that final question but it's quite linked to my problem so I put it here :
Does anyone know if I can use a CA3094AT or CA3094AS instead of the EH1048 or CA3094? They come in a 8 pin metal can package regarding to the datasheet, they should fit easily in the circuit and they are really cheaper (2.90€ for a CA3094AT instead of 9€ for a CA3094 in the shop next to my home) so I could make the replacement trick easily.

Thanks in advance

Mx.
== May The Charge Be With You ==

Mark Hammer

A CA3094 is a CA3094 when it comes to phasers.  The thing to remember is that there is a chain of 4 of them along the phase shift path, and a break anywhere in that path kills the effect.  If getting a pizza from the oven to your door requires 4 drivers to hand your pizza off to each other, and one of them gets stuck in traffic, you go hungry.

ignsk

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 30, 2007, 12:36:23 PMA CA3094 is a CA3094 when it comes to phasers.
That seems to mean I should try with the cheaper one with rather no problem.

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 30, 2007, 12:36:23 PMThe thing to remember is that there is a chain of 4 of them along the phase shift path, and a break anywhere in that path kills the effect.  If getting a pizza from the oven to your door requires 4 drivers to hand your pizza off to each other, and one of them gets stuck in traffic, you go hungry.

Obviously  :D
But, as I mentioned it, when I use a "manual LFO", the phasing effect is here, so I have my four drivers ;)
My problem seems to be the gasoline in the four drivers pizza truck. I mean the LFO part of the effect. No gasoline => no pizza, no LFO => no phasing (or maybe a fix one but that's not of a great insterest)

ignsk

ignsk

I finally had some time to get those CA3094AS and CA3094S (to replace the loosy CA3094 in the LFO part).They come in a 8 pin metal can.
I soldered a socket on the pcb and plugged the IC, what a wonderfull moving phase I heard!! :icon_smile: It works perfectly well!!!!

I think I'm gonna try now to breadboard something with these IC in the audio part of the phase, to hear if they sound the same.

the conclusion is that it was worth trying those cheaper CA3094 models.
Thanks

Max