Daphon effects pedals

Started by ambulancevoice, June 05, 2007, 06:26:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambulancevoice

i have about 9 of these daphon pedals, there pretty good, and come in very very rugged enclosures
and i dont know why there never menchaned here, there cheap as (around $45 australian) and they work well
search on google and ebay for them
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

MartyMart

I bought a bunch of them about three years ago, i think I posted something up too, the
metal case ones are real good, OD/Distortion/Phaser/Metal all fine, the OD is 99% a TS808 of course, so all the
good mods apply.
You can get them here for about £19 which is a great price for an all metal enclosure decent pedal.
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

widdly

Never heard of them but the prices sound good.  Do they have to be so ugly though?

brett

I bought the Flanger, which is quite good, and I was never going to do a DIY flanger.
The metal cases seem quite tough, so it's almost worth buying and gutting them just for the case (especially for me, coz I make kinda ugly cases).
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

ambulancevoice

i knew the daphon overdrive was most likely a ts808 clone
seems more mild though, from what ive heard of the ts808

MartyMart

Quote from: ambulancevoice on June 06, 2007, 03:39:26 AM
i knew the daphon overdrive was most likely a ts808 clone
seems more mild though, from what ive heard of the ts808

That's right, it's not quite as "gainy" until you have a bit of a tweak !! ( 47n/4k7 off pin 2 to 100n/2k2 etc etc)
Dont get the delay though, it sounds like shit and will only do about 200ms delay :-(
I sent that one back to the importer who sells on Ebay, in fact after i told him that the OD was
"almost" an 808 - including the "chip" he used that in his Ebay ad !
Prices have dropped since then, mine where around £29 each .....
MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

mikengstrom

hi ya,
I've been looking at these pedals and was wondering if anyone had the compressor and if so is it any good?
cheers
mike

brett

The Daphon would probably be based on the Boss.  Which is ok, but the best compressor according to many people is the Ross/Dynacomp (see tonepad.com for details).

The Orange Squeezer is good for subtle compression, too.  Sometimes they are so subtle, that they are barely noticeable.

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

cab42

I have seen some pedals that looks exactly the same as the Daphons on ebay (UK), with other brand names and I think they were a bit cheaper.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

JasonG

The Daphon EL250 ( something like that) is what analog man mods to make his signature delay. He walks you through a few of the mods he does. One of the problems with it was that they were never biased right from the factory. They use 1% resistors in a spot where they should have put a trim pot. My guess is that it is a DM-2. When I was looking for a delay a few weeks ago I was going to get one and bias it. Hoping that I would get a good analog delay cheap. But I didn't want to chance it.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

NEVER use gorilla glue for guitar repairs! It's Titebond , Elmers, or Superglue

moro

Quote from: JasonG on January 31, 2008, 08:02:42 AM
The Daphon EL250 ( something like that) is what analog man mods to make his signature delay. He walks you through a few of the mods he does. One of the problems with it was that they were never biased right from the factory. They use 1% resistors in a spot where they should have put a trim pot. My guess is that it is a DM-2. When I was looking for a delay a few weeks ago I was going to get one and bias it. Hoping that I would get a good analog delay cheap. But I didn't want to chance it.

It's the E20DL. I've been checking Analogman's site for what seems like forever now, and he still doesn't have them in stock so I ordered one of the Daphons off eBay. I haven't received it yet, but when I do, I was going to see if Analogman would be willing to share his mods.

At any rate, I'll post gut shots if anyone's interested.

JasonG

He tells you a few of his mods to the pedal on his page. He even tells you about the chips he uses. My guess is he won't tell you everything. I would be interested to see how much a difference getting that thing biased correctly makes.
Class A booster , Dod 250 , Jfet booster, Optical Tremolo, Little Gem 2,  mosfet boost, Super fuzz , ESP stand alone spring reverb red Llama omni-drive , splitter blender ,

analogmike

the biggest problem with the Daphon analog delay is that it's set for way too much delay time for the chip that is in it. So it only sounds decent up to about 12:00 or so. We change the clock speed to keep the whole range useable but if you keep the knob down it accomplishes the same thing.
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

ambulancevoice

yeah, ive got the compressor, its ok for me, but i have nothing to compare it to
altogether i have the eq, overdrive, analog delay, distortion, super chorus, heavy metal, flanger and two wah wahs
some of the stomp switches have broken on them, well, not the switch itself, the metal part that your foot stomps on, they appear to be very thin bits of metal, i could snap then with two fingers

Sack Puppet

"yeah, ive got the compressor, its ok for me, but i have nothing to compare it to

+1

I have the compressor, eq and overdrive.  When I bought them they were so cheap I thought I'd just use the cases if they were no good,

The same pedals are sold under different brand names  (google images E20OD) including Maestro, a Gibson brand.

S.

trendyironicname

The plastic ones remind me of the first pedal I ever owned, an Ibanez soundtank series.  Looks exactly like the shell.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

juse

Quote from: trendyironicname on February 02, 2008, 12:58:17 AM
The plastic ones remind me of the first pedal I ever owned, an Ibanez soundtank series.  Looks exactly like the shell.

I believe Daphon made those for Ibanez.

ambulancevoice

yeah its the same soundtank shell

and yeah, ive got some daphons that have some random Australian companies logo instead of daphon called Swamp, which is the company i got them off

there is another on ebay called Freedom
ive seen them around making cheap guitars and shit

JasonG

Ok maby he will tell us what he has done to it. :)

ambulancevoice