adding a led to a sunn buzz?

Started by foxfire, June 06, 2007, 10:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeeshkul

This picture may illustrate what i mean here:

Ri is the inner resistance of the voltage source(9V battery)

1. R1 << R2 ... all right, not much difference
2. othervise Vbatt very depends on I1 and your circuit doesn't have to work the way it is supposed to.

foxfire

again it is very cool of you to take the time to explain it to me/us. i wasn't expecting too much more than a yes/no answer when i posted this. hell i think i actually learned something here. now i just have to retain it. thanks again.

yeeshkul

no problem. actually to get hang of the theory of voltage dividers come handy for biasing your own little machines :)

slacker

Another way to do this which I don't think anyone has suggested yet would be to use a voltage regulator like an LM317 that could give you a nice clean 1.5V supply from your 9volt battery for powering the effect and you could run your LED and its current limiting resistor straight off the battery.

foxfire

Quote from: slacker on June 08, 2007, 12:55:07 PM
Another way to do this which I don't think anyone has suggested yet would be to use a voltage regulator like an LM317 that could give you a nice clean 1.5V supply from your 9volt battery for powering the effect and you could run your LED and its current limiting resistor straight off the battery.

you wouldn't happen to know where i could find a circuit layout for such a thing would you?

slacker

Google for LM317 and you'll find plenty of stuff.
Here's a good tutorial http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/vregtut/tutorial-full.html You wouldn't need the heatsink as the fuzz won't pull much current and you could replace the pot with a resistor because you only need a fixed voltage. Having said that a pot would let you vary the voltage to the fuzz which might give some interesting tones. Might try it myself :)
You'd hook the battery up where it shows 12 volts and the fuzz circuit to where it shows the fan connections.

foxfire

Quote from: slacker on June 08, 2007, 01:31:23 PM
Google for LM317 and you'll find plenty of stuff.
Here's a good tutorial http://casemods.pointofnoreturn.org/vregtut/tutorial-full.html You wouldn't need the heatsink as the fuzz won't pull much current and you could replace the pot with a resistor because you only need a fixed voltage. Having said that a pot would let you vary the voltage to the fuzz which might give some interesting tones. Might try it myself :)
You'd hook the battery up where it shows 12 volts and the fuzz circuit to where it shows the fan connections.

now the is a circuit i can understand. i did google it, but all the circuits i found were over my head which most are. i'll deffinantly have to try this when i get the money to do it. thanks for the help. even if the sunn buzz ends up sounding like hell(the bad kind of hell i mean) atleast i learned a ton while getting ready to make it.

yeeshkul

if you are a beginner, try Rangemaster clone(often as RM in search) as a next project. Simple that it cannot be simpler and sounds outstanding.

foxfire

so far i've made a bazz fuss, a harmonic jerkulator (that i haven't gotten to play at volume, but i think i'm already in love with it) a muff fuzz and 3 byoc pedals. the main reason i'm making the sunn buzz is because i saw one sell for around $170 on ebay. so i've made a few pedals and mod'd most all of them in some way, but until now it's been paint by numbers. i don't really know how the things work yet, but since i'm a visual hands on type of guy i don't have much choice but to keep making pedals with your/every bodies help here and there.  i wanna make a hogs foot or lpb and i'm sure i'll end up making a few rangemasters just for fun.