PCB Layout for Musical Effects

Started by Chuck, June 24, 2007, 05:43:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newperson

Not going to be a popular opinion for shippers, but this book is 8.5" x 11" x 3/8" and weights 13 ozs.  Even with a flat rate priority envelope (USPS-Produced Envelope: 12-1/2" x 9-1/2" free to the shipper) it comes to $5.60 for in person rate and $5.05 for printing off your own label. 

Some places have gotten a little high for shipping fees.  I understand having somewhat of flat rate fees because of figuring out everyone shipping fees takes time, but in some cases they are just a bit silly. 

For example, MFOS has $1-$50 fee of $8 dollars.  So their new, and really cool, PCB for the Echo Rockit PCB is 4.7in x 3.2 at a cost of $22.50.  A small priority flat rate box (ie free to the shipper) is only $5.15 for $5.80 if you hand write the label.  Comes with free tracking and $50 insurance with printing your own label.  Even less for small padded envelopes, around $1.50-$2.00.
MFOS rates:
Domestic (U.S.) Shipping and Handling
$0.01 to $50.00           $8.00 USD
$50.01 to $100.00   $10.00 USD
$100.01 to $200.00   $12.00 USD
$200.01 to $300.00   $18.00 USD
$300.01 and up   $25.00 USD 

Verses

Madbeanpedals,
$0.01 - 49.99   $2.00
$50 and up   Free 1st Class
Prioirty (optional)   $5.35

Long rant short,
Seems like a flat $10 shipping rate for this book is a bit high.  Especially since Small Bears other shipping rates seem correct and fair as long as you are ordering around $20+ in product.  Ordering a $0.50 part will sent you back $5.00 for the shipping.  I am guessing this is just because they do have to pay a person to box and mail, which is understandable to a point.  They are not a basement home based business. 

Jdansti

USPS has special shipping rates for books!  As long as it's a "book" and not an advertisement, you can use the Media Mail rate.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Hemmel

Nick, can you turn the page and send another picture ?
Then turn the next page and send another picture ?

;)
Bââââ.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Hemmel on February 25, 2014, 04:23:25 PM
Nick, can you turn the page and send another picture ?

;)

Sure all you need to do is send some money to Steve and include an address. It will appear like you placed an order for the book, but rest assured it will be my pictures
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

GGBB

Mine is on the way!  Small Bear rocks!  (Only 95 left now.)
  • SUPPORTER

BarMaleY

Maybe someone can suggest how to buy this book in Europe? The problem I have is delivery price in $212-$279 range. I'm totally fine to pay $35 fro a book, but delivery price is shocking me :(

PRR

USPS will be cheaper than UPS. Perhaps $40, altho the prices you quote look to be marked-up above the freight rate.

I agree that UPS will probably get it there and USPS depends on our over-stressed PO plus your local postal service.
  • SUPPORTER

matopotato

Quote from: BarMaleY on December 29, 2022, 08:04:10 AM
Maybe someone can suggest how to buy this book in Europe? The problem I have is delivery price in $212-$279 range. I'm totally fine to pay $35 fro a book, but delivery price is shocking me :(

Yes, I saw that too. It does not make sense IMHO. Perhaps try to contact them. If not calling, then they have some email form on the web page
"Should have breadboarded it first"

Fancy Lime

There must be ways to get the shipping quite cheap although I don't know how. I recently bought a CD off a small dealer on the Amazon marketplace. Shipping time was a mystery but the cost were just a few bucks. Since it was pretty much impossible to get the CD in question any other way, I ordered it anyway. Weeks later I suddenly get a package with the CD. Turns out it shipped from Argentina (to Europe). Probably by boat, considering the circumstances. No idea about the carrier, though.
My dry, sweaty foot had become the source of one of the most disturbing cases of chemical-based crime within my home country.

A cider a day keeps the lobster away, bucko!

ElectricDruid

There might be a way if there was a print-on-demand service within Europe that could do the job. Then you could ship European orders from somewhere closer and save the costs. It doesn't make sense to use one print-on-demand service in one location to ship all over the world when the costs of sending a pdf file to somewhere else to print are basically zero.

If I was running one of these businesses, I'd be looking for global partners in the various major markets around the world so that *all* the partners could increase their global coverage and reduce costs to their end customers.

mark2

Where is this for sale these days? I haven't been able to find it at smallbear, and RG's site still has a broken link to the old-old smallbear.

I found this but it seems sketchy and the checkout process error'ed out. Is it legit? https://app.thebookpatch.com/BookStore/pcb-layout-for-musical-effects/5cfb5bb2-4c9e-4b4f-864d-b03134a327a2

GGBB

Quote from: mark2 on December 31, 2022, 11:04:32 AM
Where is this for sale these days? I haven't been able to find it at smallbear, and RG's site still has a broken link to the old-old smallbear.

I found this but it seems sketchy and the checkout process error'ed out. Is it legit? https://app.thebookpatch.com/BookStore/pcb-layout-for-musical-effects/5cfb5bb2-4c9e-4b4f-864d-b03134a327a2

Might be legit. There is another thread here about this book from a few years ago and IIRC RG mentioned he was going to try to offer it through that kind of service. I *think* he does, but I don't recall the conclusion of that thread for certain - you should try searching for it.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

Quote from: mark2 on December 31, 2022, 11:04:32 AM

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=128104.msg1231790#msg1231790
  • SUPPORTER

mark2

Perfect, thanks PRR. I just wanted to make sure RG got the payment rather than some scammer selling others' works (the abundance of copyright claim forms on their site was unnerving).

I tried again and the crash that occurred on checkout didn't happen this time, so I'm good to go!

mark2

If you want I can buy it and ship it to you at cost: ~$42 USD for the book + shipping to me, + international shipping at the discounted rates (pirateship). The latter will be around $40 USD as PRR noted. Maybe as low as $25 if you do First Class international with no insurance and no guarantee of delivery (their loss rates are STAGGERING in my experience and don't recommend this).

BarMaleY

Quote from: mark2 on December 31, 2022, 03:46:23 PM

If you want I can buy it and ship it to you at cost: ~$42 USD for the book + shipping to me, + international shipping at the discounted rates (pirateship). The latter will be around $40 USD as PRR noted. Maybe as low as $25 if you do First Class international with no insurance and no guarantee of delivery (their loss rates are STAGGERING in my experience and don't recommend this).

Thanks for proposal! I have friend in US. He agreed to help me with shipping!