Chopped Boss OC-2 - true bypass, 1/2 the parts

Started by Processaurus, June 24, 2007, 08:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConanB

Wouldn't mind seeing it either. If you can't post it PM me maybe?

Then again I'd be after something with as little control as possible ala Green Ringer, so that all the pedal needs is the blend knobs. Might just throw the OC-2 together then replace the pots until I get the sound I'm after.

Sweetalk

Let me fix it a little bit and I post it... If no one has a problem with it... otherwise PM! :icon_lol:

MikeH

Yeah, I'd like to see that too.  I've been pretty disappointed with the other octave pedals I've built.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

Sweetalk

Well, here are the links for the OC-2 Layout. It's not the most beauty layout but it works, needs a little improvement, I made it with really good results. For the pots use 100K-B (Lineal).

Original Layout (for refernce to build it)

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee173/YSEADMV/?action=view&current=BossOC-2Octave.jpg

PCB Ready to Transfer

http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee173/YSEADMV/?action=view&current=BossOC-2.png

If you can't get the BA634 just place a jumpler between pins 1 and 2. I don't really know what effect has on the sound, but works OK without it. Build it with the 2 octaves, it's really nice that way.

The first octave gives you the "dual guitar" or "guitar-bass playing the same" effect, and the second octave gives you a LOT of bottom, fills the sound very very nicely.

I hope that this helps!!.

Processaurus

Quote from: Sweetalk on February 13, 2008, 07:02:35 AM

If you can't get the BA634 just place a jumpler between pins 1 and 2. I don't really know what effect has on the sound, but works OK without it. Build it with the 2 octaves, it's really nice that way.

The first octave gives you the "dual guitar" or "guitar-bass playing the same" effect, and the second octave gives you a LOT of bottom, fills the sound very very nicely.

BA634 is just a flip-flop boss had a bunch of, it could be replaced with 1/2 of a cd4013 (with the inputs of the other side tied to ground).  Jumpering it feeds the FET that does the phase switching for the second octave with the square wave one octave down, rather than two, so what you're hearing is probably just a deeper EQ on the one octave down sound.  Which actually a fantastic mod you've discovered, as the second octave down in the stock pedal isn't particularly useful.  But a differently EQ'd octtave down definitely would be welcome.

Sweetalk

Quote from: Processaurus on February 13, 2008, 07:16:32 AM
Quote from: Sweetalk on February 13, 2008, 07:02:35 AM

BA634 is just a flip-flop boss had a bunch of, it could be replaced with 1/2 of a cd4013 (with the inputs of the other side tied to ground).  Jumpering it feeds the FET that does the phase switching for the second octave with the square wave one octave down, rather than two, so what you're hearing is probably just a deeper EQ on the one octave down sound.  Which actually a fantastic mod you've discovered, as the second octave down in the stock pedal isn't particularly useful.  But a differently EQ'd octtave down definitely would be welcome.

Oh! thats luck!!!... I will try the CD4013 for replacement of the BA634 and switch it to see the diference. In this build the second octave it's really usefull for get a really deep sound

Sweetalk

Hi everyone!! a friend of mine bought a Boss OC-2 today and bring it to me for some research (his wife kills him if he appears with ANOTHER pedal :icon_razz:).

The sound: the original sound a little better than my clon, bad one for my ego!!!. The first octave it's much stable and respond very very well with single coils, I doesn't have any trouble playing with it. The second octave isn't very useful like others said, I like my "mod" better than the original one.

Differences between PCB's: for some weird reason my board it's wider... I don't know why, the IC's fits very well and it's taken from the original.

IC's: I used TL072 and in the Boss are IR9022 from Sharp, the original layout uses TL022. I have CD4013 and in the Boss TC4013 from Toshiba. The FET's in the octaves sections and buffers are 2SK30AY. In mine I use MFP102 and I don't have input buffers with transistors, only with the first Opamp. There are two big, unlabeled Ge Diodes, I have ones also from a misterious source, I can't tell the model...

Caps and resistors are the same in both pedals... Can the input and output buffers make the difference? or the TL072 vs TL022??.

When I can I post some pictures!!!