Are any of you guys interested in an old school silicon fuzz project ?

Started by Dragonfly, July 02, 2007, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenderstrat

By all logic it should work....   but it doesn't.

spudulike

Crawf

Hi, Fuzz sounds good, what size is the board for etching, thanks Crawf.

puretube

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 04, 2007, 04:34:09 PM
Quote from: puretube on July 04, 2007, 04:23:59 PM
"STARVED COLLECTOR"                                  :icon_biggrin:                           ... 

(who said that?)                                              

OK...now I'm lost...

I'm assuming that you mentioned that somewhere/sometime ?

hehe, Andrew, thanx for the compliments  :icon_smile:

never heard that expression before, and never mentioned it,
but thought this is the right place to postulate it for the first time  :icon_lol:
(it reminded me of those well-known "starved plates" - little has been written about those, too...).

(AFAIK: the term "Starved Collector" hasn`t been used in electronix before...  :icon_wink:)

feel free to use it from now on!  :icon_biggrin:

(any g*r* with better knowledge: speak up, and correct above statement! - always willing to learn...)

nightingale

Dig it!
Whats your one knob version Dragonfly? My guess would be a preset amount of gain?
I might just have time to throw one together tonight!

best,
ry

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bdevlin

Looks like there is a minor error in either the layout or the schematic.  C4 and C5 are listed as .022pF and .022uF.  In the schematic they both show .022uF.  I assume .022 uF is correct.

bumblebee

I built this this afternoon,i used perf and kept everything the same value except the transistors.
I tried 3904, 5089, bC108c, 109c, 3565 and combinations off all these, i ended up using bc109c's with a hfe of around 700 in Q2 and 680 in Q1.

I didnt have an enclosure so i ripped the guts out of a fuzz face i made and used that as this fuzz is way better than a ff imho.

Great pedal andrew,love it!!!

:icon_smile:  :icon_biggrin:

oh,i might mess with the bias but it sounds pretty cool just how it is so maybe not,meh....dunno.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Pumpkin on July 19, 2007, 06:50:03 AM
I built this this afternoon,i used perf and kept everything the same value except the transistors.
I tried 3904, 5089, bC108c, 109c, 3565 and combinations off all these, i ended up using bc109c's with a hfe of around 700 in Q2 and 680 in Q1.

I didnt have an enclosure so i ripped the guts out of a fuzz face i made and used that as this fuzz is way better than a ff imho.

Great pedal andrew,love it!!!

:icon_smile:  :icon_biggrin:

oh,i might mess with the bias but it sounds pretty cool just how it is so maybe not,meh....dunno.

Glad you're enjoying it !  :)

$uperpuma

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 02, 2007, 10:34:35 PM
Quote from: tungngruv on July 02, 2007, 10:33:21 PM
Great playing Andrew!!!!!

Thanks...I'm pretty much a "hack", but I have fun just improvising and messing around ! :)

The funny thing is that I get far more guitar playing time when I'm testing out circuits than when I just pick up a guitar for no reason.
x2
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

jlullo

i'm going to put this guy together tonight or tomorrow.. would any of you who have built it suggest a bias pot?  i love the soundclips of it that AC put up, so i'm thinking i might just leave it as is.  one knob would be so lonely though!!

Dragonfly

Quote from: jlullo on July 25, 2007, 09:08:04 PM
i'm going to put this guy together tonight or tomorrow.. would any of you who have built it suggest a bias pot?  i love the soundclips of it that AC put up, so i'm thinking i might just leave it as is.  one knob would be so lonely though!!

I wouldnt worry about a bias pot honestly...

The second transistor is completely stavred for voltage anyway.

I'm thinking about adding a bit more to the circuit though, to increase its flexibility.

Breadboard it and mess around...its a cool little fuzz.

jlullo

yes i'll definitely give it a shot.  i'm excited to try it out.  I've gotta say that i was never interested in fuzz pedals before i started seeing and hearing your builds.  now i'm nuts for them

Dragonfly

Quote from: jlullo on July 25, 2007, 09:26:31 PM
yes i'll definitely give it a shot.  i'm excited to try it out.  I've gotta say that i was never interested in fuzz pedals before i started seeing and hearing your builds.  now i'm nuts for them

I like a lot of the oddball classic fuzzes...but want to build modernized versions with easy to find parts :)

I hope you dig the Montezuma Fuzz.

nightingale

Here is my Montezuma. I built it the day Dragonfly posted the schem.
Sounds amazing into an already breaking up tube amp!

I took the finish off of the Raco box with a sander, then I poured some salt and peroxide on it for a day or two.

be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Dragonfly

Quote from: nightingale on July 25, 2007, 11:08:06 PM

I took the finish off of the Raco box with a sander, then I poured some salt and peroxide on it for a day or two.

KILLER WORK ! I'm glad youre digging it ! That knob is super cool.

jlullo

AC,
in your schem you have C4 as .022uf, but in your layout it's listed as .022pf... i'm assuming it's uf?  I'm doing this on perf (as my first perf project), but that just happened to catch my eye..

Dragonfly

Quote from: jlullo on July 26, 2007, 12:39:24 AM
AC,
in your schem you have C4 as .022uf, but in your layout it's listed as .022pf... i'm assuming it's uf?  I'm doing this on perf (as my first perf project), but that just happened to catch my eye..

yep...

.022uf

jlullo

nightingale

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 25, 2007, 11:48:54 PM
Quote from: nightingale on July 25, 2007, 11:08:06 PM

KILLER WORK ! I'm glad youre digging it ! That knob is super cool.

Thanks man!
It seems like we vibe  the same circuits most of the time.
best,
ry
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

bdevlin

I love this thing.  Much preffered over the Big Muff for what I want.  HOWEVER, mine does not quite have near the same "blooming" quality that is in your sample.  Any suggestions on what to tweak?  I'm using 3906's as well.

By the way, this thing works very well in front of an already distorted amp.  Doesn't add a whole lotta noise like most other gain circuits would in front of an amp.  Is there a reason for that?