Are any of you guys interested in an old school silicon fuzz project ?

Started by Dragonfly, July 02, 2007, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Yeah, its another fuzz...but it sounds pretty cool.

If you guys are SERIOUSLY interested in building it, i'll post the schemo and a PCB layout.

HERES A SOUND SAMPLE

???

jlullo

petemoore

The riffing made the video image play a really neat patterns.
  Sounds almost like a momentary switch 'slighting effect' on the bass note attacks.
  Dialed in wtih HB's ?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

caress

km-r

Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar.  If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Dragonfly

Quote from: petemoore on July 02, 2007, 09:20:41 PM
  The riffing made the video image play a really neat patterns.
  Sounds almost like a momentary switch 'slighting effect' on the bass note attacks.
  Dialed in wtih HB's ?

The clip is a 335 with a PAF in the bridge position...direct into a Line 6 Toneport...

The signal compresses just slightly as you play it, and the note blooms a bit thereafter... (nice "hype" words, eh ?)

jlullo

it almost reminds me of those waaaay over the top big muff sounds in some old smashing pumpkins songs

foxfire

i had a ton of fun with the whirlygig and now you drop this on me? not to mention it was your orpheum fuzz layout that made me think that i could build a pedal. you may be the reason my girlfriend doesn't think i love her anymore? and no i still haven't built the orpheum yet.

Dragonfly

Quote from: foxfire on July 02, 2007, 09:37:00 PM
i had a ton of fun with the whirlygig and now you drop this on me? not to mention it was your orpheum fuzz layout that made me think that i could build a pedal. you may be the reason my girlfriend doesn't think i love her anymore? and no i still haven't built the orpheum yet.

:icon_biggrin:

Pushtone

Sounds great! If you post we will build it.   :icon_smile:

Sound VERY good in the lower registers. A good fuzz for baritone guitar? Me thinks so.

I'm interested because it sounds different that anything I've built so far in the Fuzz/Dist category.

A nice addition to your current gallery IMO.
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

Dragonfly

Quote from: Pushtone on July 02, 2007, 10:16:30 PM
Sounds great! If you post we will build it.   :icon_smile:

Sound VERY good in the lower registers. A good fuzz for baritone guitar? Me thinks so.

I'm interested because it sounds different that anything I've built so far in the Fuzz/Dist category.

A nice addition to your current gallery IMO.

I havent tried it on bass or baritone yet, but i would think it would work well. Surprisingly (well...maybe not surprising to some), it doesnt use large value caps for the In /Out / interstage.

Anyway, I'll post the schem / PCB layout below. A useful addition would be a switch with a 22pF cap to ground to choose whether you want to roll off the extreme highs or not.

Dragonfly

This PCB layout is untested, but should work fine :

And heres the "one knob" prototype I built today :

tungngruv

Dragonfly

Quote from: tungngruv on July 02, 2007, 10:33:21 PM
Great playing Andrew!!!!!

Thanks...I'm pretty much a "hack", but I have fun just improvising and messing around ! :)

The funny thing is that I get far more guitar playing time when I'm testing out circuits than when I just pick up a guitar for no reason.

tcobretti

Very cool sounding, and I recognize some of the building blocks, and want to compliment you for your implementation of the circuit.

Very nice!

And that riff is perfect to highlight the pedal.

Dragonfly

Quote from: tcobretti on July 02, 2007, 10:35:22 PM
Very cool sounding, and I recognize some of the building blocks, and want to compliment you for your implementation of the circuit.

Very nice!

And that riff is perfect to highlight the pedal.

Thanks...its a simple, easy to build circuit...but little things like Q2's collector resistor (1 Meg) can make all the difference.....Q1 collector runs at 4.5 - 4.8 volts, and Q2's collector is around .8 volts or so.

tcobretti

Yeah, that's what I thought was interesting.  Q1 just boosts the signal into the mis-biased transistor.  Very nice!

Fenderstrat

Thats awesome, sorry for the newbie question but how would you go about making a bass version of this?
By all logic it should work....   but it doesn't.

Dragonfly

Quote from: Fenderstrat on July 03, 2007, 01:44:52 AM
Thats awesome, sorry for the newbie question but how would you go about making a bass version of this?

What "I" would start with is raising the input resistor (the 4K7) to a larger value (100K ?), bring the input cap up to a .1uF, and change the .022uF caps to .047's. That would be a "starting point", though it may need further adjusting. If that didnt make it good for bass, I'd raise the 22uF electrolytic cap to a 100uF...though you'll likely need to adjust the 10K collector resistor on Q1 so that the collector reads about 4.5V,