Are any of you guys interested in an old school silicon fuzz project ?

Started by Dragonfly, July 02, 2007, 08:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Quote from: bdevlin on July 26, 2007, 05:36:20 PM
I love this thing.  Much preffered over the Big Muff for what I want.  HOWEVER, mine does not quite have near the same "blooming" quality that is in your sample.  Any suggestions on what to tweak?  I'm using 3906's as well.

By the way, this thing works very well in front of an already distorted amp.  Doesn't add a whole lotta noise like most other gain circuits would in front of an amp.  Is there a reason for that?

I assume you meant 2N3904's, not 3906's.

I would suggest replacing the 330K resistor with a 1M or 500K trimmer and adjusting it for your playing style and guitar rig.

The 2N3904's are a pretty quiet, semi-low to medium gain transistor...plus theyre dirt cheap, so i like working with them .

jaytee

That sounds so great, I have this irresistable urge to make one  :P

bdevlin

Cool.  I ended up going with a 100k pot in place of the 330k resistor.  What the heck....it is going in a three knob enclosure anyway.  Plus, I like the occasional un-tamed sound with that resistor bypassed  :o

bumblebee

Quote from: Dragonfly on July 26, 2007, 06:44:47 PM
Quote from: bdevlin on July 26, 2007, 05:36:20 PM
I love this thing.  Much preffered over the Big Muff for what I want.  HOWEVER, mine does not quite have near the same "blooming" quality that is in your sample.  Any suggestions on what to tweak?  I'm using 3906's as well.

By the way, this thing works very well in front of an already distorted amp.  Doesn't add a whole lotta noise like most other gain circuits would in front of an amp.  Is there a reason for that?

I assume you meant 2N3904's, not 3906's.

I would suggest replacing the 330K resistor with a 1M or 500K trimmer and adjusting it for your playing style and guitar rig.

The 2N3904's are a pretty quiet, semi-low to medium gain transistor...plus theyre dirt cheap, so i like working with them .

I got higher gain BC108c's in mine and its still quiet,it doesnt make any noise really.

j.y

hi..

i breadboarded it not long ago and messed with some of the values..
to get more of the 'blooming' quality..i lowered the voltage on the collector of Q2..
im using 2n5089 for Q1.. more sustain to me.. more compressed..

hope this helps..

thks.
jy
thanks in advance to everyone who helped me in anyway.

searoad

a brief report to bass mod version...
i made one to my bass player after listening to the clip
first i didnt care whatever the bias are (about 6~7v on the collect of of q1, 0.8v on q2)
it sounded like all the bad silicon fuzz we ever heard for guitar
but it was cool and quite nasty for bass!!

however i bias'd it for raising 10k resistor to 18k
both input and output cap were 1u. input resistor was up to 47k
it turned into a nice sound fuzz (like rat to fuzz face on guitar)
the bass response was ok but not so noticeably like the clip
i sent it as a gift for my bass player who went french for further study a week ago so i didnt have enough time to test it
maybe two misbias stages is not a bad idea for the bass version (just add a switch to select the collect resistor)
and i think i myself need another godd fuzz from andy's fuzz factory ;D

caress

theundeadelvis

If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

petemoore

Dahh...getting used to this new iron, muckboard, ugly but connected...
  Gonna sort this one out more tomorrow, gotta watch the heat setting, dude.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

8mileshigh

Ha, this is funny !  I started building this two weeks go but stopped because I didn't have the 100pf cap !!  I printed it out over a year ago from the Dragonfly folder.  BTW, am I the only one who can see the schem and access the soundclip ?

Chris

Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

petemoore

I started building this two weeks go but stopped because I didn't have the 100pf cap !!
  It'll work without it, and will be low noise as long as you use a battery.
  you mean 100 UF..?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

8mileshigh

Pete,

The layout I have here calls for a 100p, maybe this is an older version.  BTW, I wanted to ask if I was the only one that can't see the schem and access the soundclip, all I can see are x's.   I shouldn't read this forum while I'm at work, it's way too distracting

Chris
Builts completed: Tweak-O, Fuzz Face Si and Ge, Rangemaster,Fuzzrite Si & Ge, Bazz Fuzz, L'il Devil Fuzz, Bosstone one knober, Bosstone Sustainer, Cream Pie, Kay Fuzztone. http://www.myspace.com/chrisdarlington

Dragonfly

Quote from: 8mileshigh on September 11, 2007, 12:44:20 PM
Pete,

The layout I have here calls for a 100p, maybe this is an older version.  BTW, I wanted to ask if I was the only one that can't see the schem and access the soundclip, all I can see are x's.   I shouldn't read this forum while I'm at work, it's way too distracting

Chris

If its coming off V+ than it should be a 100U ...IIRC, i initially had the "p" instead of the "u" on the layout, but got it corrected...memory fails me though, so check....

~arph

Great fuzz!

Finally built it, using a 2N2222 as Q1 and the standard 2N3904 for Q2. I found it was a lot smoother with the 2N2222.
Fixed gain (180 ohms - 2k2, and the 22uF in the middle). Increased input cap to 0.1uF for a little more bass. I put a 4n7 to ground after the first 22nF and a 1nF cap to ground after the second 22nF this removed some noise and rolled off some highs.Also I used a 100kA on the level pot.
Also I used 3M9's instead of 3M3's which I didn't have available.

Thanks AC!

Dragonfly

Quote from: ~arph on June 20, 2008, 10:41:06 AM
Great fuzz!

Finally built it, using a 2N2222 as Q1 and the standard 2N3904 for Q2. I found it was a lot smoother with the 2N2222.
Fixed gain (180 ohms - 2k2, and the 22uF in the middle). Increased input cap to 0.1uF for a little more bass. I put a 4n7 to ground after the first 22nF and a 1nF cap to ground after the second 22nF this removed some noise and rolled off some highs.Also I used a 100kA on the level pot.
Also I used 3M9's instead of 3M3's which I didn't have available.

Thanks AC!

Glad you like it... its definitely a cool sounding circuit !

jmasciswannabe

Yes, this fuzz is good times. Gets that bassy fuzz sound. An adjusted value for the 330k was critical to my build. I couldn't get that "bloomy" sound until I replaced it with a 500k pot and found the right value. Thanks dragonfly!
....the staircase had one too many steps

joinpobob

Great sounding fuzz! Thanks, dragonfly. I built it with the stock values and got some really good tones out of it.
Check out my crappy blog: http://tritonguitarworks.blogspot.com/

Kon_fución