Can you replace the switch on the Guyatone ST-2 with a pot and have a Barber TP?

Started by aksman, July 12, 2007, 08:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aksman

The barber tone press says it's got a patented blend knob or something, but the Guyatone ST-2 compressor sustainer has a "direct switch" which feeds the signal in parallel with the dry signal.

Is this the same thing?  could't you just rehouse the Guyatone  and replace the switch with a pot and get the tone press?

grolschie

I would like to try adding a 3PDT for true bypass on my ST-2. Only because by-pass mode absolutely sucks in combination with my ROG Eighteen.

aksman

I'll see what I can come up with!

I had great results with my ST-2 except that i can't use a power supply and place it before my Whammy pedal, because the ground hum is noticeable (same deal with some other pedals before my whammy)... weird.

grolschie

Quote from: aksman on July 13, 2007, 01:26:39 AM
I'll see what I can come up with!

I had great results with my ST-2 except that i can't use a power supply and place it before my Whammy pedal, because the ground hum is noticeable (same deal with some other pedals before my whammy)... weird.

Regulated powersupply? I found that a chorus pedal did that with my other pedals, until I bought a better supply.

Looking at the ST-2, I am wondering if reducing R16 somewhat will allow more dry signal through? If so, adding a pot (plus small resistor) there instead might get the pedal closer to a Barber Tone Press. I can see that the "Direct" switch simply shorts out a 150k resistor [R17]. Immediately prior is a 22k resistor [R16]. So switch on would be 22k vs 172k with switch off. Which is supposedly the difference between compressed signal, and equal quantities of dry and wet signal.