Noisy Cricket Mk2 vero layout for you.

Started by jpm83, July 25, 2007, 09:22:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpm83

Here is my layout for Noisy Cricket Mk2.
Tell me what do you think of it and is there any mistakes in it.

Janne

jpm83

Is it that bad.  :icon_lol:
I added a jumper between ic pins 3 and 4.
I made this from this schematic http://www.beavisaudio.com/Projects/NoisyCricket/DIY/
Janne

magikker

I am really excited about this... Thanks.

jpm83

Thanks for the feedback. Have anybody spotted any errors in the layout and do you have any tips for the future? Any feedback is wellcome.

Janne

Valoosj

I am going to build a noisy cricket, but I'm going to combine it with an overdrive, so I can go to overdrive with a flick of a switch.
Or is it possible to do this with the gain from the cricket itself? I have seen a built cricket with 2 switches on it.

Janne, could you possible tell me under which components there are trace cuts/jumpers? I am colourblind, so I have some trouble with spotting those.

I will leave feedback once it's built.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jpm83

Quote from: Valoosj on August 10, 2007, 06:31:10 AM
I am going to build a noisy cricket, but I'm going to combine it with an overdrive, so I can go to overdrive with a flick of a switch.
Or is it possible to do this with the gain from the cricket itself? I have seen a built cricket with 2 switches on it.

Janne, could you possible tell me under which components there are trace cuts/jumpers? I am colourblind, so I have some trouble with spotting those.

I will leave feedback once it's built.

Basically under all of the horizontal components. R2, R3, C6, C4 and all of the traces under IC1. There are not jumpers under the components. Can you see the cuts that are not under components? If you don't I can post coordinates of those too.
    I have made Cricket from this layout so it should work. And good luck with your build, it's a nice lil' noise maker.

Janne

Valoosj

Quote from: jpm83 on August 10, 2007, 09:21:21 AM

Basically under all of the horizontal components. R2, R3, C6, C4 and all of the traces under IC1. There are not jumpers under the components. Can you see the cuts that are not under components? If you don't I can post coordinates of those too.
    I have made Cricket from this layout so it should work. And good luck with your build, it's a nice lil' noise maker.

Janne

It kind of makes sence that there are cuts underneath the horizontal parts. how foolish of me  ::) 
I can see the jumpers. Thanks

I also found a pdf file on the beavis audio research site. are there big differences with yours?
I noticed the grit switch, is this some sort of overdrive?
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

jpm83

Quote from: Valoosj on August 10, 2007, 05:26:48 PM
Quote from: jpm83 on August 10, 2007, 09:21:21 AM

Janne

It kind of makes sence that there are cuts underneath the horizontal parts. how foolish of me  ::) 
I can see the jumpers. Thanks

I also found a pdf file on the beavis audio research site. are there big differences with yours?
I noticed the grit switch, is this some sort of overdrive?

The power switch isn't shown on my layout, it's just on-off switch on +9v wire. The grit switch is kind of boost.

Janne

Valoosj

ah ok.

I'm thinking of putting an overdrive in it as well. I should probably put this between the input and the cricket itself right?

jpm83

Quote from: Valoosj on August 10, 2007, 06:03:28 PM
ah ok.

I'm thinking of putting an overdrive in it as well. I should probably put this between the input and the cricket itself right?

Thats the way I would do it. By the way it boosts up really nice with overdrive used as a booster. I think that you could do a bypass for that overdrive with DPDT toggle switch. But now I have to go to sleep so if you have any moore questions I will see them tomorrow.

Janne

Valoosj

If I have time tomorrow, I'll look for a nice simple overdrive on runoffgroove, and then make a schematic.
but what did you mean with the overdrive used as a boost? I just need clean and overdrive, boosting with this tiny ampo doesn't seem necessary :D but I'm curious about the grit, and the whole of this thing as well. What size of enclosure do you advise for this amp in combination with an overdrive in one enclosure?

jpm83

Quote from: Valoosj on August 10, 2007, 07:02:26 PM
If I have time tomorrow, I'll look for a nice simple overdrive on runoffgroove, and then make a schematic.
but what did you mean with the overdrive used as a boost? I just need clean and overdrive, boosting with this tiny ampo doesn't seem necessary :D but I'm curious about the grit, and the whole of this thing as well. What size of enclosure do you advise for this amp in combination with an overdrive in one enclosure?

What I meant with that boost thing is that you could use overdrive as a kind of clean boost with gain at almost min. and vol. on max. so you could get even more distortion out of the amp if needed. The grit kind of adds a bit more gain and body to the sound. You can drive the amp from clean to distortion just using it's gain and volume control.
      I think that depending on the overdrive boards size you could even fit them in BB sized box, but I'm not 100% sure.

Janne

Valoosj

I'm going to build the cricket without an overdrive. the overdrive(s) I'm going to build will be put in separate boxes. I can always put those between my guitar and cricket if I want to. I'm also thinking of a Ruby with a tonemender. but do I use these 2 schematics from ROG?

http://www.runoffgroove.com/ruby.html
http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html
and where would I put the tonemender in the Ruby?

sorry for all the questions, but I haven't built anything complicated yet, except for my G&L  ;D

the volume that I can get from these little suckers, would it be enough to play guitar with a singer? we lost our drummer this week, so rehearsals are at my house, just 2 guitars, a bas and a singer. but I don't feel like using my tube amp.

momo

Well If it can help you decide, I built a Ruby that was preceded by the Heartthrob tremolo and then a AMZ mosfet booster into the Ruby...the booster is set full on, and so the Ruby can go clean with good headroom(Im using a 12v battery design), and good fat sustain distortion on full everything.
Here is my build report if your interested.
Im actually building a similar amp, but Ill be trying the noisy cricket this time, ill probably put another booster before it, just to have the option of having more gain.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=58492.0

Cheers!
"Alas to those who die with their song still in them."

Valoosj

I'll make the cricket and the ruby, and if it needs a booster, I will add it as well. I'm not putting it in any enclosure before I know it's all good and loud enough. I just woner about the volume you can get (clean!) from a ruby. I read that it can even drive a 2x12  :icon_eek: All that with just 9V (I'll be using 9 volt because it's much more portable

demonstar

momo, I've just built the noisy cricket and in My opinion I wouldn't add the booster. I would just use the grit switch. I found the noisy cricket didn't distort very much for me; just a crunchy kind of overdrive at full gain and volume. That may be because I was driving a 100w 4x12 16 ohm cabinet. Anyway, the point is I think the grit switch acts like a boost so I believe you'd be wasting your time adding one.

I have tried placing my mosfet booster before it but it doesn't respond too well. No extra distortion just clean gain but if thats what you want great.

Don't get me wrong.... you won't be disappointed with the noisy cricket. It's a great little amp. super for the parts count. You'll be very pleased as long as you don't go in expecting too much. I'll certainly be using it from time to time instead of my marshall tube amp because although it isn't all that versatile what it does it does very well!

I'm just about totally finished mine so pictures and sound clips will be posted soon.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Valoosj

so if you add a boost (schematic?  ;D) then you can get a louder clean sound?

Can you use this in co-operation with a singer (without a mic)

demonstar

It did give me a louder clean sound but my booster was not onboard. It was a totally seperate project just happened to try running it into the cricket. my booster is the amz mosfet booster.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Valoosj

Quote from: Valoosj on August 11, 2007, 03:19:51 PM
so if you add a boost (schematic?  ;D) then you can get a louder clean sound?

Can you use this in co-operation with a singer (without a mic)

sorry to be so drastic, but everyone misses this question :)

demonstar

You've lost me...? ??? a singer without a mic but your gona make them louder with a booster???

Sorry maybe it's me but I'm not gettin' you. :-\