Repainting a Wah Shell?

Started by ethanw, August 02, 2007, 05:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanw

Anyone have any experience repainting Crybabys? I want to refinish a crybaby shell in a cool color but it looks like the finish is baked on or something. Can I prime/paint over it or do I have to strip it?

Thanks in advance-

Ethan

Solidhex

Yo

Can't offer any painting advice but small bear sells unpainted wah shells if trying to strip the paint doesn't work out. Check under "wah, swell parts"

--Brad

ethanw

Thanks, I did see that, $41 for anyone that's interested. There's so many Dunlops around I figure I can get the whole wah w/some extra parts for about the same $, not new tho-

Ethan

xshredx

I removed the paint of a crybaby with paint remover... 

m-theory

It's a major PITA.  You have to drive the pin out, and it's not an easy thing to do.  It can be done, but I don't think I'd ever do it again, personally. 

Paul Marossy

I repainted one of my wah pedals. It's really not that hard. Remove the pin from the foot paddle, mask off the rubber and paint away. If you put a couple of coats of paint on there, it turns out looking smooth. Here's the one that I did: http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/Boomerang2.htm

ethanw

Thanks for the input, guys. I can get it apart, I'm hoping I can paint over the existing finish, I hate stripping stuff.

jonathan perez

Quote from: m-theory on August 03, 2007, 11:18:07 AM
It's a major PITA.  You have to drive the pin out, and it's not an easy thing to do.  It can be done, but I don't think I'd ever do it again, personally. 

get a hammer and the right size screw driver, takes a minute, tops...i do it once a week...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Dave_B

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on August 04, 2007, 12:02:26 AM
Quote from: m-theory on August 03, 2007, 11:18:07 AM
get a hammer and the right size screw driver, takes a minute, tops...i do it once a week...
Same here.  Maybe m-theory had an exceptional pedal, but the pin came out of mine without a fight.
Help build our Wiki!

darron

http://www.effector-repair.com/index.php?main_page=wahkyoumen

i tried this on my hm-2.... didn't have the paint removing stuff though.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Paul Marossy

IMO, you don't need to remove the existing finish, it gives the paint something to stick to. I think the finish is more durable as a result.

$uperpuma

and if you need a new treadle rubber, Small Bear sells them now :)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Paul Marossy

Quoteand if you need a new treadle rubber, Small Bear sells them now

Cool, that's good to know.  :icon_cool:

R O Tiree

Thanks for those who were brave enough to give a CryBaby a good wallop to get the pin out. I gave up on one I was modding once because I didn't want to ruin it. Does it go out either way, or just one way? Thanks.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Paul Marossy

Look carefully at the pin. One side is serrated and the other isn't. You want to tap it out with a countersink or similar tool, from the serrated side. You don't have to beat it to death, some light tapping with a hammer is all it should take. Once you're done doing whatever, just tap it back in place the same way it came out.

CGDARK

Quote from: Paul Marossy on August 05, 2007, 08:29:14 PM
You want to tap it out with a countersink or similar tool, from the serrated side.

I have done it a few times and I don't remember exactly, but I think it's the other way from the non serrated side. Remember the serrated side is like a lock and will have to go out first. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I think this is the way.

CG

Dai H.

you can see a pin that's been removed and the shape of the ends here:

http://actionwoman.fc2web.com/wah_bunkai.JPG

Paul Marossy

QuoteI have done it a few times and I don't remember exactly, but I think it's the other way from the non serrated side. Remember the serrated side is like a lock and will have to go out first. Sorry if I'm wrong, but I think this is the way.

I think you are correct. I haven't had to do it very often, and it's been a long time since I did have to...

m-theory

QuoteYou don't have to beat it to death, some light tapping with a hammer is all it should take.

Boy, do I beg to differ!  I had to beat the living hell out of mine, to the point where I ALMOST gave up.  I got "lucky" with mine, I guess.