Making a switchable Diode section...

Started by fattcamp, August 07, 2007, 07:40:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fattcamp

Hey everyone. I recently breadboarded a bazz fuss with the help of you guys (again... much appreciated... seriously). I got off work and had some time to kill, so i sent the output cap to a stupidly wonderful tone control, into the low cut filter shown on the diy mods page. Everythign works great. Before I box it up for my bassist tomorrow, i tried germanium just to see how it sounds compared to silicon. I like them both for different reasons. Could someone explain how I could set up a switch to swap between or combine both 1 silicon and 1 germanium diode. I have some switches lying around but not sure what kind or how to wire. Any help would be appreciated. Every time i get to the next step... i want to add something new. I think the switchable diode section would be the icing on the cake for the future owner of this pedal. you're all amazing on this forum. peace out

Dave

bancika

Check out how I did it with small extension board http://www.storm-software.co.yu/diy/index.php?project=flexi_clip
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

fattcamp

I appreciate the link! That will be the direction I take for playing around with different clipping options, but could someone let me know the proper way to wire a toggle that will get mounted to the final product? I think i want a switch to swap between either si, gi, or both. Would that be a spdt switch? If so, any quick images or links anyone could whip up in mspaint to show me how i need to connect them. thanks! I would think i somehow connect an si to an outside and middle lug and a ge to the other outside and middle lug. i don't know where cathode/anode go. thanks

Dave

the_random_hero

Use a 5 way rotary switch. Connect your common to the point before the diodes, then have the other terminals connected to the different sorts of diodes.
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

luap77

fattcamp

thanks again all... i think i'm asking something way simpler than i'm getting answers to. I just want a 3 way switch where one lug goes to an si diode, the other lug to a ge diode, and the middle to combine both. I just don't know how to solder the diodes in that configuration since cathode has to be a certain way and whatnot.

fattcamp

I just got back from a cople of electronics stores, and they were suggesting i get a switch that is "on-on-on" but noone seems to have them. I grabbed a couple of dpdt on-off-on switches to play with. will these work? anyone had any luck getting a 3 position toggle to swith between 2 diodes but also combine both?

bancika

The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

GREEN FUZ

Mark Hammer

If I've understood your needs, you want an on-off-on SPDT 3-position toggle.

Keep in mind that a wire bridge across a diode makes the diode essentially absent, in terms of functioning.  So, imagine you had a Ge and Si diode in series.  A wire goes from the junction between them to the centre lug on the toggle.  One outside lug goes to the far end of one of the diodes, and the other outside lug goes to the far end of the other diode.

When the switch is in the middle, neither diode is shunted/bridged, so they are both in circuit.  Switch in one direction and one of the diodes is shunted and effectively bypassed, leaving the other one in effect.  Switch in the other direction and you get the reverse.

GREEN FUZ

Having re-read your post I believe Mark`s suggestion is closer to what you`re looking for but the links might give you some ideas all the same.

fattcamp

based on mark's idea, how could you modify this for a dpdt on-off-on 3 pos. toggle? (in other words, how do treat a dpdt as a spdt?. do you just forget about one side of the pins?)

the_random_hero

Quote from: fattcamp on August 09, 2007, 04:22:14 PM
based on mark's idea, how could you modify this for a dpdt on-off-on 3 pos. toggle? (in other words, how do treat a dpdt as a spdt?. do you just forget about one side of the pins?)

Yes. Sorry I didn't write back  to the PM, I just got it now.
I still think somebody should go overboard with a rotary switch for different diode selections   ;D
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: fattcamp on August 09, 2007, 04:22:14 PM
... how do treat a dpdt as a spdt?. do you just forget about one side of the pins?)

My understanding is that a DPDT is two SPDT`s in parallel so yes your idea should work.

Quote from: the_random_hero on August 09, 2007, 05:28:33 PM
I still think somebody should go overboard with a rotary switch for different diode selections   ;D

Agreed. :icon_lol:

the_random_hero

Over at another website, a few of us had a design for a super versatile OD - it had two rotary switches to choose between as many combinations of diodes as you can put in it - LED's, 1N4xxx's, germaniums, signal diodes, FET's, etc. We all ended up looking into other projects and it got pushed to the side until we got some free time.
After I've finished what I'm on now, I might get out my plans and have another look into it  ;)

fattcamp

awesome! by the way, i just got home from work and i WILL get this diode switch to work... i'll report back

Dave

fattcamp

SUCCESS! thanks to everyone for the help. I've got my bazz fuzz all wired up with the swtc, low cut filter, and diode clipping switch to choose either ge/si/both on a spdt on-off-on switch. i'll post pics tomorrow when it's in the enclosure. I'm stoked!!

Dave