News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

50k for a 25k?

Started by foozertone, August 08, 2007, 01:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foozertone

I'm working on anEA tremelo and I was wondering if I could use a 50k pot for a 25k? I think I can but I just want to be sure. Sorry for such a basic question.

Thanks

Jeff

CGDARK

Try to test the circuit with the 50k, if it do what you want, you can go with, if not you'll need the 25k. Remember this is a matter of taste and in order to learn you have to test, test and test so you can tell yourself in the future what's wrong or right for a given circuit.

CG

foozertone

Okay  that's a good idea. I'm alittle gun-shy because I haven't been able to get anything working yet. I'm still tryin' though.

Thanks

Jeff

SonicVI

Or, if you happen to have a 50K resistor you can solder it to the outside lugs of the 50K pot to make it a 25K pot.

foozertone

That's an even better idea. Why does that work?

Thanks

Jeff

carrejans

jasonsmusicgear

Quote from: SonicVI on August 08, 2007, 02:02:10 PM
Or, if you happen to have a 50K resistor you can solder it to the outside lugs of the 50K pot to make it a 25K pot.

That is very good to know, is it possible to make a 25k pot into a 50k?

SonicVI

No, all you could do is put a 25K resistor in series with a 25K pot to get up to 50K, but then you're minimum resistance would be 25K, not 0.

Shakal

You can put a 50k Resistor in paralell with the 50K pot. It WILL NOT be the same as a 25k pot, but will be close.

Heres is a comparison of what it should be first and what is going to be next.

25K = 25K
20K = 22K
15K = 18.75K
10K = 14.3K
5K = 8.3K
2.5K = 4.54K
1K = 1.9K
0K = 0K ( ::) )

As u can see, it works better a first. You should try it, its better than use just the 50K pot.

Therefore if what you have is a Log Pot... Errrr... I have no $¾óþå idea what is going to happen.  :icon_biggrin: