BYOC/ReBote delay build problem

Started by BubbaKahuna, August 09, 2007, 04:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbaKahuna

Hi all,
I recently built a BYOC delay (basically same as the rebote) and I have a strange problem that nobody on the BYOC board seems to know where to look for the problem.

It works correctly (sorta) and switches on & off. All the controls do what they're supposed to do.
Problem is that when the effect is engaged, the volume drops by about 50% ... but only on the dry part of the audio.
The delays are nice and loud with good tone, but the original part of the signal is thin sounding and nowhere near as loud as it should be.

I've reflowed every solder joint twice, replaced all the offboard wiring & even replaced all the pots.
There are no shorts anywhere that I can find under some pretty strong magnification.
The switch is wired correctly & turns the effect on & off just fine.
Byassed the signal is nice & strong.

Are there any particular components in this circuit that I should be yanking off the board and testing to see if they're dragging down just the dry part of the signal when the effect is engaged?

Like I said - the repeats are fine, but the inital note is weak only when turned on.

???

I can post closeup pics if that would help. I'm no EE but can read a schematic for stuff like this fine so if the answer is something like 'check the cap on the input of the opamp' or something like that, I could probably find it eventually.  ;D

Cheers!
My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

theundeadelvis

Do you have an audio probe? You may be able to find where the signal loss is coming from by tracing the signal with the probe. If not I recommend reading the debug thread and posting all the needed measurements. Also, some here may tell you to contact BYOC since it's their product. Good luck!
If it ain't broke...   ...it will be soon.

oldrocker

Yes you have a problem somewhere.  Mine works the opposite.  I still have to add a volume pot to turn down the engaged delay signal to the bypass level.   It's way too loud.

igor12

OK, I am looking at rebote 2.5 schematic. There is a 24k resistor that goes to pin 2 of IC2. Check that resistor value with DMM. Good luck

kahel

But since the BYOC delay is v2.0 the signal structure is a bit different, and that particular 24k is a 22k. But anyway, it's being taken care of. 

8) K

BubbaKahuna

Yup, Kahel is running me through this step by step on the BYOC board.
Thanks for all the replies.

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.