Op amps for Condor Cab Sim

Started by ItZaLLgOOd, August 13, 2007, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItZaLLgOOd

Has anyone built the Condor Cab sim for ROG?  It says you can use any dual op amp.  Would any 1 be a better a choice than another.  It's not real specific. Any suggestions??  Thanks for any help, John
Lifes to short for cheap beer

ItZaLLgOOd

There doesn't seem to be a lot of people who have done the Condor.  Is there something else out there that would be better or easier??  All I need is a decent cab simulator for some quiet home recording direct into a PC soundcard.  Any suggestions??  Thanks, John

MartyMart

I use one quite a lot, TL072's in mine, jfet inputs and decent quality.
There's a Marshall sim at GGG if you prefer that, Condor's a good one though.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ItZaLLgOOd

Thanks.  I was starting to wonder if the Condor was a bad idea. 

oldrocker

The Condor is a great way to link between the sound card input and your guitar.  That's what I use all the time.  I was thinking of trying the Marshall Mods sometime too.  It's a fairly easy build.  I built mine into a table top type enclosure since it's more a studio device than a effect stompbox. 
Also some here have incorperated a speaker sim circuit along with thier Condor.   I haven't tried that and I don't know how well it works but it sounds like a cool idea.

solarplexus

I built one with two JRC4558D and although I don't seem to get a lot of gain (don't know if it's normal for that IC in the Condor) the sound quality is amazing for direct recording.  Put a socket in there and swap different IC's, stick with the one you like best.
DIY Poser.

calculating_infinity

Quote from: ItZaLLgOOd on August 16, 2007, 11:47:47 AM
Thanks.  I was starting to wonder if the Condor was a bad idea. 

The Condor Cab Sim is a great idea.  :icon_wink: I actually have been using it to practice late at night with my pc.  I don't have a pod or anything similar.  Run a software drum machine and jam along.  Duals I am using are OPA2134, it was the first ones I tried and just left them in as it sounded great.  I will probably try some others sometime soon.

MartyMart

Quote from: oldrocker on August 16, 2007, 11:16:39 PM

Also some here have incorperated a speaker sim circuit along with thier Condor.   I haven't tried that and I don't know how well it works but it sounds like a cool idea.

What Randy means here is a "speaker saturation simulator" ( The condor IS a speaker sim  :icon_wink: )
It's designed by STM from ROG, I have one in my Condor box that's also switchable, it can add a soft but interesting
breakup, uses a diode "ladder" and IMO is a very nice addition to the condor.
Here's some pics of my build from about 18 months ago :

And the finished box :
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

oldrocker

Yes Marty, speaker saturation is what I meant.  Nice job on that Condor/SSS by the way.  It looks great.  Love the blue LED's.