Lable-ing pedals, already painted enclosures..

Started by msurdin, August 15, 2007, 05:00:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msurdin

Hey guys

I'm trying to figure out how to make my enclosure to look nice when they have lables on them. Right now i use a lable maker with this plactic sticky tape. It looks really cheesy and probably will come off really fast.

Ive seen people use decals like for model planes.. Where can you get these made?

This would be a great help
Thanks

MAtt

aron

GREEN FUZ

If you have access to a printer you can make them yourself.
Buy some Waterslide Decal Paper, available, I would imagine, at any good Stationers. From there it`s a simple process to print off your chosen design while following the instructions. Finish off with a coat of acrylic spray. Baddabing.

What I like about this technique is that with a bit of care you don`t get the lines around the transparent area. If that makes sense.

mnordbye

Waterslide decals will work nice, but don't forget to spray them with a clearcoat BEFORE you put them in water. I didn't do that the first time, and boy was i angry when all my graphics went down the sink....  :(

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

msurdin

So when i print them, i then clearcoat them (reccomended product?) then i put them on my enclosure then dab them with acrylic spray?

Thanks guys

GREEN FUZ

Quote from: msurdin on August 15, 2007, 08:26:11 PM
So when i print them, i then clearcoat them (reccomended product?) then i put them on my enclosure then dab them with acrylic spray?

Thanks guys

After printing you cut the decal to size and soak in water to loosen it from the paper backing in order to apply it to your chosen surface, just like the model plane transfers you were talking about . Magnus recommends clearcoating before this process, in order, I presume, to preserve the ink from soaking off. I`ve never had this problem personally. The clearcoat is exactly the same as the acrylic spray. It`s nothing fancy, just a clear sealer, like varnish, in a spray can. The make I`ve been using is Plasti-kote. Like a lot of these products it`s toxic so take necessary precautions.

msurdin

GREEN FUZ

msurdin

does it matter if it is gloss or satin style?

John Lyons

You will only need a clear coat on the decal sheet if you use an inkjet printer with the decal stock.
If you use laser printer or photocopier you don't need to clear coat the sheet before you soak them off the sheet and on to the box.
Inkjet prints are not water proof. Laser and photocopier are...

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

zeta55

Quote from: John Lyons on August 15, 2007, 11:42:17 PM
You will only need a clear coat on the decal sheet if you use an inkjet printer with the decal stock.
If you use laser printer or photocopier you don't need to clear coat the sheet before you soak them off the sheet and on to the box.
Inkjet prints are not water proof. Laser and photocopier are...

John

I usually give my laserprinted decals a clearcoat layer before sliding it. The ones I buy are very fragile when sliding them, just like mnordbye  stated. The clearcoat layer gives it some strength and also help protecting the graphics from damage when I use a soft cotton rag to get the blisters out.
The downside is you could get visible edges around the decals, those I grinddown between the layers of clearcoat.

/Krister
Visit my site: http://www.zeta-sound.se/

cmat

I print mine on a laser printer and slide them on and then I put a thin layer of clear on the pedal after the decals are on there.  This helps to keep the decal from sliding off later.