Boutique effects = DIY projects

Started by jakenold, August 27, 2007, 03:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DiamondDog

Quote from: markm on August 31, 2007, 07:32:06 AM
Why do I get the feeling that many have responded to this thread without actually reading it?

Come on, MarkM... Since when did that become a prerequisite for responding?  ;D ;D ;D

I have this in writing. A designer, supplier and retailer of bare amplifier PCBs acts on the basis that if you buy a blank PCB FROM HIM and populate it, you can then on sell it, using whatever brand name you want, provided 1. you support it; and 2. he doesn't have to go bulk himself to supply you.

If he's goes bulk, then he will look at a per unit licencing because it is then more profitable for him. You etch one board yourself, however, and all bets are off. Also there are certain liability issues involved in "holding on" to your product.

And do not presume that ip laws are the same in every country. McDonalds lost a "law textbook" case here involving Big Macs.

My money's worth.

DD
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

markm

Quote from: DiamondDog on September 01, 2007, 04:30:13 AM
Why do I get the feeling that many have responded to this thread without actually reading it?

Come on, MarkM... Since when did that become a prerequisite for responding?  ;D ;D ;D

Very True.
The Big Mac is a good sandwich now and then but, not for breakfast.

96ecss

Quote from: markm on September 01, 2007, 07:10:58 AM

Very True.

I prefer pizza for breakfast.

Dave

DiamondDog

Quote from: 96ecss on September 01, 2007, 08:36:50 AM
Quote from: markm on September 01, 2007, 07:10:58 AM

Very True.

I prefer pizza for breakfast.

Dave

I've just had a flashback... To all those breakfasts after the gig the night before... You know, those breakfasts at the crack of 2pm...  Having cold something-that-was-hot-the-night-before, and how did it get in here anyway anyway?

I might stop now. (((  :P  )))   (that's a shudder... An off topic shudder.)
It's your sound. Take no prisoners. Follow no brands. Do it your way.

"Protect your ears more cautiously than your penis."
    - Steve Vai, "The 30 Hour Workout"

King Tubby

Quote from: soggybag on August 31, 2007, 11:15:32 PM
I figure the following

PCB $3
Stomp Switch $6
Enclosure $5
Jacks $5 (In, out & power)
--------------------------------
Total $19 For wrapper

Another $30 for parts, PnP, paint and sandpaper for the box, wire etc.
-------------------------------
Total $50

You could get this down cheaper with volume. But remember there's also costs for shipping and whatnot.

I use the software from Expresspcb to sometimes make layouts, though I never use them to buy pcbs I use their "compute board costs" function and obviously notice the more boards you buy the cheaper per board it is ... next time I need 250 fuzz face boards i'll give them a try.  :P

soulsonic

If I were selling mass quantities of something, I'd definitely use a service like PCB Express to have my boards made. Etching and drilling that many boards yourself is a colossal waste of time, and maybe that's why some guys get backed up so badly. I suppose that's an excuse for why some of these other guys are using boards from BYOC or wherever, but I still believe a builder should come up with his own design.
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com