Red Fuzz Build Report... Kick A$$!!!! - Part 2

Started by Barcode80, September 04, 2007, 12:19:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barcode80

So i built a red fuzz with a clean blend for a bass player friend of mine, and i loved the circuit so much i built one for me (no clean blend). i've been in a "set it and forget it mood" lately so i eliminated the tone knob with a jumper (revoiced to tame some high end by increasing the input cap to .01 from the stock .001 uF), and since i only felt the gain level was useable in a certain 5-10% of the rotation, i set it where i liked it and replaced it with a fixed resistor of the same resistance. i ended up with a nice purple one knob red fuzzz. it sounds KILLER! i might build another with switchable input caps. i play almost exclusively with my bridge humbucker with the coil tap on, so fuzzes are hard to voice right since the input gets saturated to unusable levels, almost gating and sputtery from the overload from my pickup. i might use a trimpot for the tone next time and dial it to just the right amount of low end, but i hate useless knobs and i know i'll set it once and never change it again unless i get a new amp or guitar, which isn't happening soon. here is a pic:

Cardboard Tube Samurai

That's awesome! Can you please elaborate on the "clean blend" you did for the bass one? Feel free to take it to PM so as to avoid spam in this thread

Barcode80

Quote from: Cardboard Tube Samurai on September 04, 2007, 04:59:34 AM
That's awesome! Can you please elaborate on the "clean blend" you did for the bass one? Feel free to take it to PM so as to avoid spam in this thread
no need. there is a layout for the buff n blend in my gallery, that is what i used. sounds excellent!

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Indeed there is! Thank you. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but it gives a nice clean sound that you can 'blend' in with another effect? If that's true, you may have solved a problem for me

Barcode80

yes, it basically splits the signal off in two branches, one goes to whatever effect you want to blend in, and the other is a buffered clean channel, then uses an output blend knob to balance however you want between the two.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Toney

I have Veros for both of these.
REALLY great and simple circuit.

RED FUZZ

Buff 'n Blend]

Barcode80

yeah i'm surprised we don't hear more about it on here...

foxfire

i'm thinking about putting one together tonight, how would you describe the sound? i haven't been able to find a sound clip but, it seems like everyone who builds it loves it so it can't be too bad.

96ecss

Quote from: foxfire on September 05, 2007, 01:35:47 PM
i'm thinking about putting one together tonight, how would you describe the sound? i haven't been able to find a sound clip but, it seems like everyone who builds it loves it so it can't be too bad.

If you're talking about the Red Fuzz, here is a link to GGG. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=26 The sound clips are right on the project page.

Dave

foxfire

Quote from: 96ecss on September 05, 2007, 04:49:25 PM
Quote from: foxfire on September 05, 2007, 01:35:47 PM

If you're talking about the Red Fuzz, here is a link to GGG. http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=26 The sound clips are right on the project page.

Dave

well duh, thanks. so i built it with a 741 and that ain't what mine sounds like. mine doesn't get much above unity and barely clips, anybody else use a 741 and not get the same results?

Barcode80

i built mine with the 741 and it rips. you need a strong input for the 741 though. if i switch to my single coils, i need a booster in front for a good sound, but when i switch to my coil tapped humbucker, it is a singing smooth fuzz. i'll try to get around to some clips soon

foxfire

well duh, thanks. so i built it with a 741 and that ain't what mine sounds like. mine doesn't get much above unity and barely clips, anybody else use a 741 and not get the same results?
[/quote]

does anyone want to take a guess what happens when you use a 470R resistor in place of a 470K resistor? well it works now and it sounds damn good.

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Anyone got a schematic for the BnB? I am going to make my own layout and combine it with another pedal on a single PCB

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Sorry to dredge up such an old topic but I'm in dire need of assistance. After being inspired by this thread, I breadboarded a DOD OD250 with a few mods to suit bass and combined it with the BnB. It worked perfectly and was just the sound I was after. However, now that I have made the pedal, something has been lost in translation. I made 2 separate PCBs for the 2 effects and wired them how I understood it to work. On my first attempt, I got the clean blend side of things working but had none of the OD happening. After much frustration, I took everything back out of the enclosure and started again. This time I got no sound at all.

If it's not too much trouble, could someone please throw together a wiring diagram for how it should be put together? I'm using the GGG layout for the OD250 (I've made several of these pedals so I know there's no problem there) and the layout mentioned in this thread for the BnB. I'm usually pretty good with these sorts of thing and have made multiple effects in one enclosure but this one's got me stumped!

Cardboard Tube Samurai

Barcode80

i'm not sure. i've built the bnb on that board about 20 times now, so i know it works. the layout has wiring on it i believe....

Cardboard Tube Samurai

I didn't doubt your layout for a second. I think the problem lies somewhere in my interpretation of the wiring. EG: Where does the blended output (lug 2) go to?