News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Univibe diodes

Started by wlrs, September 06, 2007, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlrs

Did the original univibe use geranium diodes insted of 4148 ??
Thanks..
wlrs

R.G.

No.

They weren't 1N4148's either. They were Japanese types of silicon diodes.

Germanium is NOT a magic potion you can rub on a pedal to make it sound mojo-licious, nor are all old diodes germanium,
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

wlrs

Quote from: R.G. on September 06, 2007, 11:31:13 PM
No.

They weren't 1N4148's either. They were Japanese types of silicon diodes.

Germanium is NOT a magic potion you can rub on a pedal to make it sound mojo-licious, nor are all old diodes germanium,

BUT BUT BUT haven't you herd that it has to be mustard caps for plexi amps builds and A/B resisters and and geranium diodes for pedals.. J/K
I actually meant my neovibe I was looking at the univibe schematic when I wrote the post sorry boss man. It is good to know that there is some one else out their willing to put a lid on all the IT HAS GOT TO BE mojo myths.. My goal was to try to get it close to the real thing.. I had no idea if they used silicon or not. Pixie dust not included
Thanks.
Walrus

R.G.

Hey, sorry I lept on you with hobnailed boots!  :icon_biggrin:

I completely understand the urge to see what the originals did as a starting point for experimentation, and I respect that a lot. I've just spent so much time convincing people that pixie dust is really ground-up cornstarch that I have a kind of knee jerk response.  ;D
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

roknjohn

What the..........

There's $600 I'll never see again. I just bought 2.36 pounds of that of pixie dust on Ebay.

Guess I'll be eatin biscuits for a couple months.

RedHouse

Quote from: R.G. on September 07, 2007, 11:35:48 AM

I completely understand the urge to see what the originals did as a starting point for experimentation, and I respect that a lot. I've just spent so much time convincing people that pixie dust is really ground-up cornstarch that I have a kind of knee jerk response.  ;D

How so, and a great place to start experimenting, what with the parts we have available today and all.

One can really appreciate where we are today, when one builds a build with the good/bad 'ol stuff, Oh yeah baby, roll-a-few with some carbon-comp's and some ceramic disc's et'al.

Yep, the best thing I know for the oft reconed ...."those were the days".... is to make some stuff with the 'ol crap we had in the "bad 'ol days" ....sobers one up fast.
(not that we weren't sober before)

Not to tangent (but please indulge me) I now often recall the bad/good "ol days" every time I hear/see someone trumpeting the virtues of the BMP or Small Stone, back then one went into the music store to try pedals, one had two choices, those that HISSSS or those that HISSSSsssss much more.
(a rough reference to MXR -vs- EH)

Funny how now-a-days gobs of folks are drool'in for EH stuff, but back-in-the-day we passed on it like it had the plague.

BTW: does anyone here remember a piece of gear called "The Chairman Of The Board"   

wlrs

Quote from: R.G. on September 07, 2007, 11:35:48 AM

Its all good RG. I'm very thick skin.. + I'm like some of you guy's when It comes to pixie dust and such it just makes me sneeze alot. I try to talk people down when it comes to the it has got to be thing but it does not allway's work. It is mostly the younger folk. Heck I remember 10 years ago you could buy a brand new marshall 800 or was it a 900 for less then $600 US and if you waited until he had to pay inv.Tax you could darn near get it at cost. I'm relay glad that Valves are comming on to there own. it is nice to buy new tubes that sound good and are reliable as well..
Hay how do you post pics??
The neovibe sounds killer man nice and swirly but i used a different LDR then every one else. I did buy different ones from all over and even went and bought some glade air fresheners with the night light in them and tried those as well. Not Bad but wasn't the tone I was after..
Here is a link to them there a little big but man they sound great
http://optoelectronics.perkinelmer.com/catalog/Product.aspx?ProductID=VT33N2
The link is just product info you have to search and buy them some where else..
Thanks
walrus