Noisy Cricket sounds not right

Started by BoostAddict, September 08, 2007, 03:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoostAddict

EDIT:  I fixed this problem!  Read below for new problem.

:icon_evil: Finished my build last night using the radioshack build layout on beavis' site.  No sound.  All joints good, everything looks fine.  This morning I build an audio probe.  I poke around and nothing gets past the input.  I probe "G" on the MPF102 and I get sound.  I probe anywhere else, nothing.  Is the MPF102 busted?  I bought them off of eBay, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120156050814 . I've already tried 3 different ones...ANY help is appreciated.  Thanks

hobojoe

I am definitely not an expert in debugging but I would recommend double checking the pinout on the MPF102 and make sure it matches up with the circuit.  I had a tranny with a different pinout once and I spent a couple days before I figured out what the problem was

BoostAddict

That's what I thought too. So I swapped them around both ways.  One way I would get no sound at input, another way I would get sound so I kept the orientation that kept the sound when it was powered on.  I just desoldered all the pots so I can look at it closely again.  Hopefully it works after checking again....

BoostAddict

teehee you can't help but giggle like a school girl when you're dumb like me.  The whole time I was looking at the layout, I wondered...where is everything grounded to?  I took out all the wiring looked at it again and realized I forgot to ground the input jack to the board!  I only grounded it to the LED and that's all.  What a retard I am!  Now it's just buzzing and farting.  Much easier to figure out than no sound thouhg!

BoostAddict

ok now, in order to get a good clean tone.  Volume has to be at max, tone fully counter clockwise and gain counter clockwise.  even then, there's still a bit of buzzing.  right now, its not in an enclosure or anthing.  it also seems to be motorboating a bit, and if i touch the pots, they go away.  if i turn the tone up even a little, it sounds like a FUZZ with no sustain.  any ideas?

oldrocker

Still sounds like a transistor orientation problem to me.  Try just flipping it 180 degrees.   Most times that's how mine are backwards.