Looking for tube audio-amp project

Started by mnordbye, October 01, 2007, 10:43:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnordbye

It's been a long time since i've built something with tubes, and now i kinda feel like scaling down on my stereo at home. So, anyone know about a tube stereo amplifier project? It doesn't need to be anything fancy (actually, fancy would be harder to build  ;) ), but i'm looking for something with 2/3 inputs (CD/Computer and LP/Tape) and with to speaker outputs.

Also, if someone has done something similar, do you have any projects you recommend, or any advice concerning audio amplifiers? Never built one..

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

slideman82

HI MAgnus! I think if you want audio quality, I mean Hi Fi, you'll have to take a look to EL84 o EL34 tubes, as common output tubes (someone please tell us about other low THD tubes... maybe 300B?). Go to drtube.com and find, in the audio schematic section, the one that is Ultralinear 25W with EL34. You'll have to get the right output tranny and everything else. I can't tell you about a Hi Fi tube preamp, but try any with Baxandall active tone control. Good luck!
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

mnordbye

Thanks! Sounds very interesting. I also looked at a kit over at Antique Musical Supply, but i'll rather not go for a kit again, if i can get a hold of a good project with the bill of materials and everything. Anyway, it uses one 11BM8 tube per channel, which they say rate at 8 watts per channel. That's about what i was looking for, maybe a tad more.

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

slideman82

Take a look at the one I told you before, the EL34 are very common, a matched EH pair will do the work (they're u$s50 around here, quite cheap for these) and you'll get 25W per channel!
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

jeff g

I've built a number of Bottlehead kits - here:  http://www.bottlehead.com

You used to be able to buy the build guides with Bill of Materials if you're not interested in the kits - but I'm not sure they still sell them separately.

These amps are relatively easy to build - they were my introduction to electronics - and they sound great.

There's also a very active forum for build support.

mnordbye

Damn, doesn't seem they sell the build guides only anymore. That would have been great if they did.

Magnus N
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook