Question Re: Adding a Boost to a Circuit

Started by railhead, October 01, 2007, 03:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

railhead

Total n00b question, but as I'm at work and can't screw around with testing yet, I thought I'd ask a precursory question. So, if I want to add a boost to say, a BSIAB, what do I need to do? I'm thinking of 2 foot switches: one for the BSIAB on/bypass, another to boost whatever signal is passing to the output jack. Here's the obvious:

1. Build BSIAB circuit.
2. Build boost circuit of choice.

I'm confused as to how to "attach" the circuits and their 3PDTs, though. I'd like to be able to turn the BSIAB on or off independently from the boost, and be able to boost whatever signal -- BSIAB or no BSIAB signal -- if I engage the 2nd switch. Any layouts of places of explanation of how to do this would be MUCH appreciated.

TIA

railhead

Ahh, I see -- it looks like all I have to do is go from SW1's "output tip" lug to SW2's "input tip" lug, and then SW2's "output tip" lug to the output jack (and connect grounds, power, etc.).

Thanks!

petemoore

Might be all you want to really adjust is the volume control setting via switch?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

railhead

Kind of, but I want to be able to set my distortion volume where I want it, and then a boos volume where I want it -- and hit the boost as needed. Kind of like the Box of Rock, if you're familiar with it. :)

foxfire

to echo what Petemoore was suggesting, you might want to build the BSIAB with a second volume pot on a switch and then build the booster separately. if you know exactly how you want to use the pedals or are tight on space than never mind but, you loose flexibility by boxing them up together.

railhead

I never thought of that. Hm.

How would this get hooked up, though?

caress

should be pretty easy with a dpdt...no?

volume #1   1  2   volume #1 out
from circuit  3  4   to output
volume #2   5  6   volume #2 out

remember to send both volume pots to ground.

edit:  whoops... sorry to be redundant.   :P

foxfire

and i would think that you could add a led if you used a 3pdt.