convert onboard bass preamp to a pedal

Started by BryanOnBass, October 01, 2007, 07:56:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BryanOnBass

I have a 3 band bartolini preamp that was taken out of a bass that I was thinking of converting to a pedal.  Its all wired up and ready to drop back in a bass and I was wondering about converting this to a pedal. I would like to have 4 knobs (vol, bass, mid, treb)  a footswitch to turn it on/off and an LED to show that it is engaged, plus I would like to be able to use either 9-volt battery or a power supply.

I really don't know much about anything when it comes to this stuff.  I've just started reading "teach yourself electronics and electricity" but would appreciate any pointers one could offer.

petemoore

If you can read a block diagram...
  The Bart pre has an input, an output and a power supply [each of the three share a common ground.
  Suggested task management:
  Test the circuit board.
  Hopefully theres a battery clip, this will have Gnd. as the - from the battery [which of course is reverse to the clip], the small button on the battery clip should connect to ground, and the wire that went to the guitars output jack would have been grounded, try to find that wire by testing a circuit through it [DMM set to 'beep mode' is the easist test].
  Unless you had the volume control CCW and by chance that put Gnd on the output wire...
  You've almost certainly found the ground wire.
  The amp, guitar [which will get convenient input and output jacks whose sleeves will connect the ground in a stompbox version], and circuit will have common ground.
  So hopefully you're having correct PS connections [through battery clip], and have found a nice ground wire.
  [you can make testclipped wires for quick circuit pre-tests].
  Connect ground to the sleeves of two cables, one to the amp, one to the guitar, have circuit common to both sleeves [a 3 conecction node, ground]
  The only wires [hopefully] left would be the input and output signal wires.
  {You could use a test amp, but *Probably shouldn't get loud pops, turn the amp up only a little to...whatch the volume, start low with new wire maybe...
  anyway, you can find the output with amp connected [ground through sleeve], connect the tip to one of the remaining wires, with the battery connected, you should hear hiss or background noise associated with the amplified output, the input would sound dead, if you have hiss, grabbing the input wire should provide enough input to tell that the output is amplifying the signal [like touching the amps tip cable with your thumb, but should be able to get louder]...
  Now you have the circuit wiring verified, mark it.
  Box wiring is simple, jack sleeves get grounded, tips carry signal.
  Switch and LED wiring is simple, once you understand it...
  Starting with a DPDT or 3PDT [for true bypass and LED]...
  Then going to GEO to see bypass article, GGG for diagrams...and testing the switch connections with a DMM is always a good idea [turn the switch 1/4 turn or look through the eyelets to orient it, then verify before soldering..]
  Breaking down the number of variables generally becomes necessary at some point, starting off with getting a working circuit board, then a working box W/bypass and LED as seperate tasks is recommended.   

Convention creates following, following creates convention.