my little fuzz. well it ain't really anything new...

Started by foxfire, October 02, 2007, 04:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foxfire

here is what i did to Dragonfly's whirlygig. i wasn't happy with it as a whirlygig so i started fooling around with it and, now it's just a super thick and rather smooth fuzz. it has a strong hint of BMP to it. i really like it but, it probably could do with a fuzz control. i tried tacking the SWTC on it but, it didn't seem to have enough of an effect on it to bother drawing it up with it.
i am happy with the way it sounds but, if anyone sees anything i did wrong or could do better i'm open. Rylan
p.s-this DIY layout creator is awesome stuff, i love it.

ambulancevoice

you could easily add a gain/fuzz pot to this
just replace r6 with a 1k pot (from emitter q2 to pin 3, pin 1 to ground) and wire the bypass cap to pin 2
done

is there a schematic for this version to???
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

foxfire

i don't have a schematic for it but, you can kind of use Dragonfly's schematic for his Whirlygig since that's what it started out as. http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/v/DRAGONFLY-LAYOUTS_0/album87/album123/WHIRLYGIG_001.gif.html
i replaced the bias/rate pot with a 68k resistor, i got rid of the 0.022uf cap and the switch in front of it, i changed the transistors and the in/output caps to taste and of course i added the clipping diodes at the end.
i think you might like this one Ambulancevoice. i'd love to know how it sounds with a bass? 

foxfire

i just realized that i forgot to add the 0.0047uf cap i have on lug 3 going to lug 2 on the volume pot in the drawing.

ambulancevoice

well, i like the sound of the whirly gig
im getting some npn germs soon, and id like to use them in it
id probably add a switch for the diodes too

foxfire

Quote from: ambulancevoice on October 03, 2007, 10:31:46 PM
well, i like the sound of the whirly gig
im getting some npn germs soon, and id like to use them in it
id probably add a switch for the diodes too

just to be clear, this doesn't whirl at all and is a good bit smoother than the whirlygig. this is a just a straight on thick fuzz. i pretty much completely bastardized Dragonfly's pedal. though if i remember correctly it does retain some of the whirlygigs fuzz (minus the trem) without the diodes so switching them would be good and i'd bet a pair of ge tranny's would sound real good in there.

ambulancevoice

yay! sweet
i wouldnt really mind a smoother version with Ge's