Colorsound Overdriver - Has anyone built one?

Started by Baktown, October 08, 2007, 03:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slacker

Quote from: slideman82 on October 09, 2007, 09:41:52 AM
Told you (and everybody!) a secret: replace the bipolars with mosfets... then you told me what does it sounds like!!!!!! BIIIIIIIIIIIIG SURPRIIIIIIIIISE!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

Interesting, might give it a try. Another mod worth trying is to remove the 25uF cap from the collector of Q3. This disables the tone controls and turns it into the fattest most saturated fuzz you've ever heard.

slideman82

Really???? Interesting!!!! I'll do that mode too!!!! This pedal is really good! Also, try it with Ge ones, if I'm not wrong, you'll  get that Brian May sound without TB or AC30.
Hey! Turk-&-J.D.! And J.D.!

Wounded Paw

what about trying some metal can 2N2222As on it?  Just discovered I had some.

Ronsonic

Hey Mark

Here's the schem I used. Note the cap on the BASS pot.(is that supposed to be all caps these days?). I don't think that control would have much effect without it.  I built mine with BC109s and it is indeed a great little box of gain and compression and grit.

My thanks are sincere, our IP laws a joke and I try to maintain a general sense of humor. It seemed like the anti-copying wars might have simmered down enough that humor might be possible. Might still be, but maybe out of my reach.  :)

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

markm

Quote from: Ronsonic on October 09, 2007, 10:14:03 PM

Hey Mark

Here's the schem I used. Note the cap on the BASS pot.(is that supposed to be all caps these days?). I don't think that control would have much effect without it. 

What schem?  ??? :D
Bass control functions fine in my build.  :icon_neutral:

I built mine with BC109s and it is indeed a great little box of gain and compression and grit.

I used 5088's with some minor value changes to make it more user friendly to build.

My thanks are sincere, our IP laws a joke and I try to maintain a general sense of humor. It seemed like the anti-copying wars might have simmered down enough that humor might be possible. Might still be, but maybe out of my reach.  :)
Ron

Nahhhh!
I thought you were kidding but sometimes things are a bit out of control as far as IP and such.
So on that, I remain silent.  :-X
Thanks Ron!!  :icon_wink:

d@vide

The above sound files don't make justice of how good is this pedal.
I built mine with BC109s no master volume (like the original ones)
but I think I need the master volume (more controllable)
For all "floyd addicted" a "must" to build.

Hanglow

Ronsonic

Helps to actually paste the damn thing into the post, huh. :icon_rolleyes:

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/stompbox/CSOVR.JPG

Looks pretty authentic to me. Probably are different builds over time. I'm not going to doubt the guys who report BC169 and it seems reasonable that they were replaced by 109s and later by BC184. That seems the trend over the years. I do want to try this with 184, as they're usually a bit quieter and sweeter sounding.

I prefer this one used for a touch of grit and sustain, when pushed real hard it sounds like a pretty typical transistor front end. But that seemed to work okay for Jeff Beck like that. For the Floyd fan, driving one of these with a BMP is a real good thing. IMO country guys should all try this on the subtler settings - nice Tim-ish  cleanish boost.

Ron

http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

g3rmanium

Ok, I recorded a clip of my Overdriver. :icon_biggrin:

Colorsound Overdriver.

Crappy playing but it's loud! I can make gut shots if you need them.
Call me Johann.

Bernardduur

I have left the schematic of my '96 Colorsound OD somewhere on this forum
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

slideman82

Quote from: Wounded Paw on October 09, 2007, 04:21:05 PM
what about trying some metal can 2N2222As on it?  Just discovered I had some.

MMm yes, they seem to work, but I don't know much about 2222, are they low noise type? Those bipolars would be better, like BC550, 109's, and 5088. The 5088 sounds pretty good on many fuzzes, like the Muff and this one we are talking about.

Give it a try to those 2N2222!

DougH

If you guys like the Colorsound Overdriver, you should try its cousin sometime- the Unidrive. That's a lot of fun too.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

slideman82

Quote from: DougH on October 10, 2007, 04:59:04 PM
If you guys like the Colorsound Overdriver, you should try its cousin sometime- the Unidrive. That's a lot of fun too.

DOUG! Your H89 sounds terrific!!!! It's gonna be one of my gear stompboxes!!!!

Did you mentioned the Univox Unidrive? As a Jimmy Page fan, I build it few months ago (Page used it on "Back to the Pubs" tour, I think) and I could say it's an excellent fuzz pedal, really nasal. Fuzz goes better if you lower the input cap, I don't remember the value I liked most, but was about 10n (just try many for taste).

Try a MOSFET as last tranny, goes clearer as fuzz goes down ---> minimum gain... just like a booster.

markm

The CS Overdriver isn't a fuzz............ :icon_confused:
Metal Can 2N2222's do sound good though to me.

foxfire

Quote from: g3rmanium on October 10, 2007, 03:08:11 PM
Ok, I recorded a clip of my Overdriver. :icon_biggrin:

Colorsound Overdriver.

Crappy playing but it's loud! I can make gut shots if you need them.

that sound clip sealed the deal. i gotta make one now.

slideman82

Quote from: markm on October 10, 2007, 05:29:15 PM

Hey, it sounds like a fuzz to me! But not so fuzzy... mm I haven't tried it on a tube amp.

Oh, I love your work, Mark.

slideman82

F*ck, I always confuse you with Mark Hammer! Well, your work is excellent to!

markm

Bernardduur

Quote from: slideman82 on October 10, 2007, 08:19:41 PM
Quote from: markm on October 10, 2007, 05:29:15 PM

Hey, it sounds like a fuzz to me! But not so fuzzy... mm I haven't tried it on a tube amp.

Oh, I love your work, Mark.

Mine is clean ultil I crank the gain to 80%; the rest of the time the gain just doesn't do anything

The volume is incredible and makes my amp's OD channel scream!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

slideman82

Yes, that's right, the gain pot isn't very linear. If you want, you can put a multiturn trimpot between the gain pot and the PCB, so you can find the tone you like most.