News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AMZ mosfet booster

Started by rogeryu_ph, October 11, 2007, 07:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogeryu_ph

DIYer's
Hi, I'm little bit curious on this mosfet booster. I know many had already tried this project please share us your exprience. Also, is this booster placement is after guitar? before or after dirt pedal? or last in the chain before AMP?

Thanks,
Roger   

snoof

I found that it boosted the high end just a tad.  As for placement, any of the slots you listed will work, although it will produce different results in each.  Before dist = more dist, after = louder not more distorted ulness overloading your amp input.

railhead

I like it better than the mini boost because it seems little cleaner. It's a totally simple circuit, so I'd recommend building it and giving it a go. FWIW, I use my boosts last in the chain.

snoof

re: Mini-booster.  It does not HAVE to be crunchy, just put a 100k (var resistor) pot between the source and the electro cap to grnd on the bottom tranny, and you can dial up whatever dirt you want, or none at all.

petemoore

re: Mini-booster.
+1 for a touch of dirt-boost, great sound when boosting a dirtbox. Could use a volume select switch for solo 'boost', then you'd have dirtbox, dirtbox with MB set lowish [MB bypass], Dirtbox with MB set for lead boost [MB Vol sel. Sw.].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MikeH

This is my favorite booster project yet (And I've built a SHO, an LPB, an AMZ mini, and Fat boost).  I love running it after a TS for mega loud, balls to the wall crunch.  It's become a big part of my "sound".
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

96ecss

I use my Mosfet Boost after dirt pedals for a nice volume boost and my Mini Booster before my dirt pedals for some extra drive. I love them both and they don't leave my pedal board.

You should build both and see which you like. Also, try the Fat Boost and the Runoffgroove Omega. You can never have too many boosters, overdrives or distortion pedals. ;D

Dave

rogeryu_ph

Guys,
Thanks to all reply, top on the list now.. BTW bs170 here is not available.... some suggestion replacement  guys :icon_cry:

One thing, my amp is only 65watts solid state not a tube one, is this still ok?

Roger

Threefish

Quote.. BTW bs170 here is not available....

I've built a few mosfet boosters, and used the 2n7000. Always got good results.

Quotemy amp is only 65watts solid state not a tube one

I've had different results out of my solid state and tube amp with the mosfet booster. In the SS it is more of a volume boost, wheras with the tube amp it can give the input a belting, getting a nice on-the-edge to mild overdriven sound. It's quite different. If you're after a less-than-clean sound, maybe something like ROG's fetzer valve would be better. The Omega looks good too.
"Why can't I do it like that?"

petemoore

Many SS amps I've played are SS amps w/something on it.
  What I mean by that...SS amp alone can sound nice and clean, if I was selling that amp, I might put something on the input like a voiced boost or other processor to thicken/brighten...make it more interesting sounding than the SS amp sitting next to it in the showroom.
  Many 'guitar amps' are amps with preamps.
  If you start with say an LM3886 amp or basically an amp which is 'just' an amp [ie not intended to color the tone, has adequate headroom to go much higher in volume and still not color the tone much], and you put a boost or pre-amp on it, you can notice a large increase in volume with neat tone coloring, if voiced for a touch of distortion [what'd still be a ~'clean tone' in guitar talk], can be very nice.
  Also the amp may drive the speaker hard enough to color the tone 8).
  But add another pre-amp or boost on it [would = boost>boost>pre-amp>amp], and it's likely you'll overdrive the second boost or preamp, or attempt to surpass the clean volume range of the output amp [SS output amp clipping generally ='s less than desirable results].
  ie...if it's a 'hot' sounding SS amp, it likely has a hardwired in 'boost' or some pre-processing of input signal to fatten/thicken/brighten etc. before going to the power amp. Then there's the amps headroom, when pushed near or past headroom and SS amps can become very ugly sounding.
  Sometimes there just isn't a lot of 'room' in an amp to further boost/voice because it's already boosted/voiced around the capabilities of the output amp.
  SS output amps [in guitar amps] generally go for clean as cheep makes possible, which is fine, so to set one apart from another or to make it more interesting, pre-boosting/pre-amping proccesses are added as stock feature, this makes 'x' SS amp sound different or supposedly more desirable sounding than 'y' SS amp.
  That said..65w of output can be loud/clean...depending on..'what exactly is input to the output amp?'.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.