PCB Layout Critique/Thoughts/Etc...

Started by railhead, October 12, 2007, 11:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

railhead

Just for kicks, I'd like to gather opinions on how I like to lay out my PCBs. Here's an example shot (the labels point to the pad directly inline above or below the label):

A couple of things...

1. I like to put my LED resistor onto the board and run the LED neg back as a trace to jump to the switch. This usually means I have to run a trace around the entire perimeter if I can't work it back under components.

2. I like to put my switch, jack, and power traces on the bottom of the board (closest to those parts) to avoid running wire over the top of the board.

3. I try and run the traces to where they're as close to the contacts as possible, thus my board in and out are right inline with the switch lugs, -9v on the left, jack in an and out on extremes, etc.

I know doing this adds a lot of extra distance on some of the traces, but I haven't noticed any ill effects from doing this. That said, what are some reasons I shouldn't do PCBs like this -- assuming there are some?

Thanks for the input!

John Lyons

I dont see any problems with what you have here.

Some thoughts:
Keep all high impedance traces (inputs and connections from output stages to input stages down the line) as short as possible for noise pick up reasons.

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/