Tube Screamer Tone Control

Started by audioguy, October 15, 2007, 09:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John G

Mark, I thought you would have taken the opportunity to to suggest the inclusion of  the "stupidly simple wonderful etc" tone circuit in place of the standard active one.
I have done just that, now no longer a TS but I think infinitely more usable.
I replaced the low pass filter after the first stage with a 10k lin pot and I think a 47nF cap to grnd. select for your personal taste.
Then what do you do with the second stage of the op amp ??..........well I turned that into a volume boost stage from unity to a value that gave a good lift in level. This can be achieved via a second f/sw with a fixed amount or a pot in the f/back path to grnd.
I also corrected the mid hump anomaly and now I have  a pedal called the "Flatdrive" with vol boost.
Cheers
JohnG

bipedal

John,

Curious -- do you have a schematic of your Flatdrive version available that you'd be willing to share or PM?  I'm slowly plodding my way through the design of my project, so I'm trying to look at a lot of different variations on the TS circuit for different ideas on ways to incorporate a different style of tone control / how to shift from active to passive tone, etc.

- Jay 
"I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." -T. Edison
The Happy Household; The Young Flyers; Derailleur

hendrix2489

I have made three its8 clones( 2 with old layout and 1 with new) and i found two different ways to get better action out of the tone pot.  One way that i tried and liked is to increase the value of the tone cap(c9) http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_its8_lo.pdf the .22micro-farad .  I tried 2uf and 22uf, and both make quite a difference. You can get a full sweep with either.  The second way is like what audioguy said; lower the pot to B5k or B10k

just sharing my extremely little experience, hope this helps.

John G

Jay,
Not  a problem, just PM me. I was going to manufacture this style of pedal some years ago, but................. as usual other priorities took precedence. Besides the market place is saturated with TS style ODs
I have added all sorts of switching options so the original TS so it is now quite lost in amongst all the bells and whistles.
Cheers,
John

Subzero

Can any of these methods be applied to the drive pot?
I've just built a SRV Special and the drive pot is far from being linear altough it's the correct value (1m0 Log which I replaced with a 1m0 lin ...)

John G

Hi,
I have had no problems with either the 500k log or IM log drive controls, but I do preferr a lin Vol control.
If some one wants to host my schematic tinkerings then PM me with your mail address.
Cheers
John

MetalGod

Quote from: John G on November 03, 2007, 05:52:52 PM
Hi,
I have had no problems with either the 500k log or IM log drive controls, but I do preferr a lin Vol control.
If some one wants to host my schematic tinkerings then PM me with your mail address.
Cheers
John

use Imageshack

8)

John G

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion, I have now put the schem up at Imageshack...........user john_g.
Cheers
John G

Subzero

can't seem to find it John. Can you post a link please ?

John G

Hi,
You will need to be patient here my first time with this sort of thing.
I find my 55 year old brain doesn't get around at the same pace it used to.

The image is there........ but even I couldn't view it ?? only got to see the thumb nail !!!!
Try this    http://my-imageshack.us/user/john_g
If this doesn't work then..............
John G

Subzero

Hi John ...

It does'nt work ...
Can youemail it to me by any chance, to itsik_f@hotmail.com

thnx
Itsik

Subzero

shows only the thumbnail. clicking it leads to a "page not found"

John G

Itsik,
I have mailed you.
I the meantime I will battle with the technology and see if I can't get this right.
Cheers,
John G