BSIAB: better than sliced bread

Started by Indoor Fireworks, November 08, 2007, 04:29:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indoor Fireworks

I just realized that I have a habit of only posting on this message board when I have a problem. I'm going to break that habit right now.

I finished building my BSIAB 2 last week and I cannot stop playing it! This is easily one of the best distortion pedals I have ever played. It has so many usable tones, which makes it the complete opposite of the "one-trick-pony" distortion pedal I normally use (Big Muff). With the distortion knob turned down, it breaks up nicely while staying amazingly transparent - it does not diminish the tone of my telecaster at all! But cranked up, it really screams; it is harmonically responsive and it creates feedback really easily. This is the best distortion pedal I've found to suit my needs: the ability to either be very clean or very dirty.

I know this is a cliche line used by book and movie critics, but if I were to have only one distortion pedal on my pedal board I would happily choose the BSIAB 2.

BUILD IT!

96ecss

It's definitely one of my favorites too. I've built quite a few Distortion/Overdrive pedals and the BSIAB2 is always on my pedal board.

Dave

g3rmanium

How does it sound into a dirty amp, say a Super Lead? Anyone tried it?
Call me Johann.

Bucksears

Quote from: Indoor Fireworks on November 08, 2007, 04:29:08 AM
It has so many usable tones, which makes it the complete opposite of the "one-trick-pony" distortion pedal I normally use (Big Muff). With the distortion knob turned down, it breaks up nicely while staying amazingly transparent - it does not diminish the tone of my telecaster at all! But cranked up, it really screams; it is harmonically responsive and it creates feedback really easily. This is the best distortion pedal I've found to suit my needs: the ability to either be very clean or very dirty.

I know this is a cliche line used by book and movie critics, but if I were to have only one distortion pedal on my pedal board I would happily choose the BSIAB 2.

BUILD IT!

I can't keep saying this enough. It's definitely better than anything I've played commercially (even most boutique, for that matter), it's got a great sound and a great range. It stays open and distorts well at low-gain (no fizzy fade-outs like with diodes); roll back the tone with the gain at about 20-25% and it's great for blues. Turn up the volume and tone at low gain and it sounds like a classic Marshall breaking up. It turns my SRRI into the best channel-switching amp I've ever played.
I'm going to be socketing a few capacitors to try and tweak the sound even further; pretty much removing the LPF at the end altogether is the key for this thing to enhance the treble yet keep the bass (go straight from lug 2 on the tone to lug 3 on the volume). I might build a 2nd one with different EQ'd enhancements for more upper mids; the 'Big Muff'-style tone control (and other factors in the BSIAB II) allows for tweaking with just a few components.
Long story short: the BSIAB II is my main distortion unit. Mine right now has a gain1/gain2 footswitch toggle for two different gain levels, plus a preset (internal) 'maxed out' gain control that has its own footswitch, bypassing the gain1/gain2 controls.

Quote from: g3rmanium on November 08, 2007, 09:00:38 AM
How does it sound into a dirty amp, say a Super Lead? Anyone tried it?

I haven't tried it, but if the BSIAB II's gain is turned low, it should be nice. The only reason I can't see doing this, though, is because the BSIAB II already has a LOT of gain on tap. It's not a Dr. Boogey, but can hold it's own in pretty much the classic rock/classic metal realm. I don't get into 'stacking' distortions due to the noise and the compression usually shows up.

Definitely build one.

- Buck

MartyMart

BSIAB II is for sure a bit of a "classic" and has it's own "voice"
I would put it alongside a few "biggies" that I tend to recommend to fellow guitar players, to have in
their "Gig bag" :
SD-1 or TS-9 ( modded how you like 'em )
Marshall Bluesbreaker
Big Muff
BSIAB II
Dist +
Tech 21 XXL

...... just a few "must have" favorites of mine :D
MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

alfafalfa

And don't forget the BSIAB 1  , I still like it very much. Mine has a few ceramic caps in it and these in my opinion make it sound grittier and more marshall like than the 2 version. It doesn't have as much low content though ! But it works great  for certain sounds , especially AC/DC  and Who like things.

Altogether, I have built 4 BSIAB's so far. And  different cap types can make quite a difference in sound.

Alf

MikeH

I must be psychic... I just started on my bsiab II layout yesterday.  Can't wait to build it.
"Sounds like a Fab Metal to me." -DougH

RDV

I'll put it away for a while and then come back to it.

My problem with mine is the distinct lack of an 'open' sound on mine. I almost think I'd like it better with an open-back combo. With my half-stack it sometimes seems congested, it sort of depends on the room too.

Strangely enough I've gone back to my old HMP pedal which was the 1st one I built with a BMP style tone control. I can set my amp really clean and the HMP just really takes off(especially with a sho behind it).

RDV