DIY Tropical Fish Caps

Started by R.G., November 10, 2007, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R.G.

1. Locate a marine supplies store, locally or on the web. West Marine is a good one.
2. Buy one quart of marine epoxy and one colorant kit.
3. Make up four different color cups, each big and deep enough to dip a cap into.
4. Oh, I guess you already needed to have several polyester caps on hand... maybe this ought to be step 1A.
5. Dip the caps in the epoxies.
6. Hmmmm... that didn't work. The epoxies all ran and mixed.
7. Ok, only make one color cup. Dip all your caps in the first color.
8. Wait until the epoxy cures hard.
9. Repeat 7 and 8 until you are sure the mojo is locked in. You can listen between colors if you like to hear how much it's getting better.
10. Use them happily.

Notice: it is a Bad Thing to do this and sell the resulting pseudo-mojo caps. Bad Boy.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

DWBH

Pedal love

jakenold

Haha, I've done that too! Great mojo-defaux'ers think alike  ;D

bumblebee

jonathan perez

LOL OMG IMHO LOL BBQ

do correct me if im wrong, but i may well have seen an auction, which i think is still up on ebay, with some fish caps that look..well...heavy set...epoxied, painted, whatever.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

gez

In the early 90s I went to my local electronics shop to get a replacement cap for my EH LPB; a leg had broken off at the body of the cap.  I remember being miffed when the assistant sold me a tropical fish capacitor instead of an exact replacement for the original part: a green polyester cap.  I bet that would present a conundrum for some - mojo vs mojo!

I use ceramic surface mount.  Haven't looked back since switching...

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

StephenGiles

But as we all know, "tropical fish" capacitors sound far far better than any other type, especially in the Rat, and they enable you to play faster too :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jakenold

Quote from: StephenGiles on November 11, 2007, 08:25:41 AM
But as we all know, "tropical fish" capacitors sound far far better than any other type, especially in the Rat, and they enable you to play faster too :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

And if you use tropical fish in everything from guitars to effects to amps, you WILL get the girl!  ;D

StephenGiles

Quote from: jakenold on November 11, 2007, 09:30:48 AM
Quote from: StephenGiles on November 11, 2007, 08:25:41 AM

And if you use tropical fish in everything from guitars to effects to amps, you WILL get the girl!  ;D

I've got all the woman I can handle at home!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

birt

a real rebel takes tropical fish caps and paints them orange.
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

Geoffrey Teese

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on November 11, 2007, 12:55:28 AM
LOL OMG IMHO LOL BBQ

do correct me if im wrong, but i may well have seen an auction, which i think is still up on ebay, with some fish caps that look..well...heavy set...epoxied, painted, whatever.

I think I saw that auction earlier today.  "Tropicana"(TM) caps from Israel.  Hmmm, there might be an Orange Juice Company that clould get pissed at that...

So, on a side question from that auction, how can a manufacturer release a product with polystyrene caps?  Not only are polystyrene caps not RoHS compliant, they are on the EU "hit list" of things to look for.

Just askin'.

Ed G.

Does Mouser still carry styrene? I like them for some things.

Geoffrey Teese

Quote from: Ed G. on November 11, 2007, 06:16:12 PM
Does Mouser still carry styrene? I like them for some things.

Yes.  Mouser still has them under "Unspecified" capacitors.  You might get better pricing on Ebay these days.  Thats where a lot of EU/UK supply houses are dumping their non-compliant components.

brett

Thanks for clearing that up, RG.  :icon_wink:
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

96ecss

Great, now we can argue about what brand of marine epoxy gives the best tone.  ;D

Pretty soon you'll read on The Gear Page about how so and so's pedals sound better because he uses Hi-Fi Epoxy instead of marine epoxy.

Dave

R.G.

QuoteGreat, now we can argue about what brand of marine epoxy gives the best tone.

Yeah, but notice I'm keeping the secret of Time-Aligned Epoxy (r) to myself.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

The Tone God

Quote from: 96ecss on November 11, 2007, 07:40:48 PM
Great, now we can argue about what brand of marine epoxy gives the best tone.  ;D

Pretty soon you'll read on The Gear Page about how so and so's pedals sound better because he uses Hi-Fi Epoxy instead of marine epoxy.

You gotta use marine epoxy, how else can you get tropical "fish" caps ?

I'm here till Thursday. Try the chicken.

Andrew

frankclarke

I feel sorry for the fish. Pre-CBS oxygen-free NOS epoxy, emptied, steamed, flavoured with sesame seeds whipped into a fondue garnished with John the Conqueroo.

This thread is useless without pics!

beatstrat

Since you insist, Frank:

This is an illicit, immoral, illegal, ill-advised, ill-mannered yet hyper-mystical and mojo filled copy (and an improved one at that, if you can possibly imagine) of the LP COT50 - I like to call it the Church of Tropical Fish Tone.  On stage last night, I could swear I was smelling tuna - knowing the fish therein, I looked first to my pedalboard... then quickly realized it was emanating from the dancefloor.