DIY Tropical Fish Caps

Started by R.G., November 10, 2007, 07:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan perez

Quote from: Geoffrey Teese on November 11, 2007, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: thebattleofmidway on November 11, 2007, 12:55:28 AM
LOL OMG IMHO LOL BBQ

do correct me if im wrong, but i may well have seen an auction, which i think is still up on ebay, with some fish caps that look..well...heavy set...epoxied, painted, whatever.

I think I saw that auction earlier today.  "Tropicana"(TM) caps from Israel.  Hmmm, there might be an Orange Juice Company that clould get pissed at that...

So, on a side question from that auction, how can a manufacturer release a product with polystyrene caps?  Not only are polystyrene caps not RoHS compliant, they are on the EU "hit list" of things to look for.

Just askin'.

ah yes, thank you Geoffrey, that would be the auction.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

ambulancevoice

Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Electric_Death

I don't get it.
If they don't sound any different and nobody ever sees them but you, what's the point??

birt

move all mojo parts on top of the pedal. make holes for those transistors and caps to stick out and add a nice blue led under every transistor
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!

jonathan perez

Quote from: birt on November 12, 2007, 09:47:33 AM
move all mojo parts on top of the pedal. make holes for those transistors and caps to stick out and add a nice blue led under every transistor
now were talking!
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

WGTP

What if we added a ground up tropical fish to the epoxy?  Maybe a guppy or angel fish?  Whoa do sharks count as tropical fish?  That should give the tone some edge!   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

bancika

Quote from: Electric_Death on November 12, 2007, 09:27:43 AM
I don't get it.
If they don't sound any different and nobody ever sees them but you, what's the point??

you can take a gut pic and put it on ebay, it will double the price :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

modsquad

Okay stupid me, what's up with the fish caps.  I have about 10 of them and don't use them because they look like the variance is horrible and not well made.  I can get a ton of them at my surplus supplier.
"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

frankclarke

DIY carbon comp resistors. Take some 50 year old trees from the Mississippi delta, burn them in an oxygen-starved sippin' wiskey jar with your mojo hand between your legs, and cut the charcoal into lumps. Hand paint (NOS '60s Cadilac paint) stripes on them and goop them to the board. Goop will hide the lack of electrical connection, among other things. Publish blurry photoshopped pictures of your "Dying Tubes" pedal (Hiding the TS10 Soundtank logo), and ask board members to reverse out the schematic. Act horrified when it is revealed to be a Tube Screamer, but then realize that the tropical fish and carbon comp certified components are not subject to the laws of physics. Then sell your reboxed TS10's on EBay for $400 each. "Why is there a lump of painted barbeque charcoal duct-taped to the pcb?" "Ssssh...... mojo.... quiet or everyone will want one".

Electric_Death

Frank that's downright psychotic!
You're my kinda superhero  ;D

BubbaKahuna

Quote from: modsquad on November 12, 2007, 12:49:09 PM
Okay stupid me, what's up with the fish caps.  I have about 10 of them and don't use them because they look like the variance is horrible and not well made.  I can get a ton of them at my surplus supplier.

That's unusual - most of them are actually pretty high tolerance caps and high quality.
Almost all the ones I have are 1% and a few 5%, and I have a lot of them.

If you can really get tons of them, try to get .22uf and sell them on ebay.
All the cork sniffer wah guys swear they make you sound just like Hendrix and they pay like it.
Most guys selling them on the bay are getting about $3 to $5 each for the .22uf fish caps.
If you can get them for 10 cents each, you can retire in 2 years. I want a percentage for consulting.  :icon_mrgreen:

Of course, they have to be real pretty to get the big bucks.
Nobody wants the scratched or dirty ones, they don't sound as good I guess.  ::)
Other values don't fetch such high prices.

I use them because I find they have good tolerances, are consistent and I got a bunch of them pretty cheap.
And they're pretty.  ;D

Cheers,
- JJ

My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

modsquad

"Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light, not because he is afraid of the dark but because the dark is afraid of him"

petemoore

If you give the man a fish...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

David

Quote from: R.G. on November 11, 2007, 07:45:17 PM
QuoteGreat, now we can argue about what brand of marine epoxy gives the best tone.

Yeah, but notice I'm keeping the secret of Time-Aligned Epoxy (r) to myself.  :icon_biggrin:

R.G., have you finally gone and built that "tropical fish" flux capacitor?
:icon_idea: :icon_exclaim: :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen:  THAT'S where your ideas come from!!!  You bring them (wait for it...)...
...  back from the future!

I've had too much coffee today...  :P