Help with L.R. Baggs Paracoustic DI

Started by sixstringphil, November 12, 2007, 09:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringphil

Trying to debug a problem with a Baggs Preamp. When I plug in or unplug the instrument cable, I get a NASTY pop as the plug moves through the TRS jack. I've checked the solder joints and some connectivity tests. Everything seems to be ok with the jack. In the past, I had some problems with the volume pot and I suspect a problem in that area of the circuit. There are two diodes connected to lugs of the volume pot. I worked on this several years ago before I knew how to properly use and iron, so I made a royal mess of it, and may have damaged some components and traces. I've tried to get my hands on a working unit, but had no luck yet.

I've searched for a schematic, but had no luck. Anyone got any ideas?
Or, would anyone be willing to open theirs up and check a couple of spots for me?
Thanks!!

Phillip

sixstringphil

Forgot to mention, everything else seems to work fine once the cable is plugged in...

David

So the circuit functions properly once you get the cable actually seated?  I wonder if perhaps you're momentarily shorting something...
You might just need to turn down the volume on whatever device the Baggs feeds until you have everything connected.

sixstringphil

Well, I checked that already. Even with the volume pot all the way down, it still comes through just as loud. However, the volume pot works fine once the cable is inserted.

sixstringphil

Ok. Got it. I had the two diodes on the volume pot connected to the wrong lugs.  :icon_redface:
Big thanks to Brian at L.R. Baggs Tech Support. VERY HELPFUL!! They're even sending me a replacement trimpot at no charge.
I'm usually complaining when I talk about companies' customer service, but this time it's a big thumbs up to L.R. Baggs.