May Queen (awesome)

Started by oldrocker, November 19, 2007, 01:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldrocker

I breadboarded this last night.  I only built it because I had the parts.  But I have to say I'm surprised that more aren't raving about this effect.  I'm going to box this one up for sure.  It even palm mutes nicely.  It sounds very close to the Brian May tone.  This may (pardon the pun) be my major pedalboard distortion pedal.  If you haven't built it you need to try it out.

Ed G.

I was very impressed by the clips I'd heard of it. Sounds like it nails THAT tone.

Bucksears

Man, did you just build it stock with only the volume control?
I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a gain control worked into that, as well as getting the tone control to roll off enough highs.

Other than that, it's a fun pedal that I hit every now and again. IMHO, it does a great emulation of the BM tone, but it really hits that Mick Ronson's (70's distortion) tone on 'Ziggy Stardust'.
Not very 'sweet' sounding, but isn't really meant to be. I'm really surprised someone hasn't tried to emulate this a bit closer.

Ed G.

You know, I was listening to some Bowie the other day, in fact I think it was that song, and I thought that Ronson's tone came close to Brian May's. I don't know the time line. Maybe one was inspired by the other. I don't think Ronson gets his props all the time, though.

On that note, a while back I was watching VH1 classic, and it was some sort of performance by Queen, except was the BACKUP band, they were playing "all the young dudes" and Ian Hunter was singing, Ronson was playing lead guitar, and David Bowie was playing saxophone.
If that weren't enough, Phil Collen and Joe Elliot from Def Leppard were singing backup.
I imagine it's on YouTube somewhere.

rikkards

That is really funny as I was listening to Ziggy last week and was thinking of learning it. I am also looking at building a MayQueen as well. From what I understand it is a variant of the Rangemaster and I heard with the Rangemaster that it works best when the amp is loud. Is this the case with the MayQueen? Because with a Bassman in a semi-detached I doubt my neighbours would appreciate it.

Quote from: Bucksears on November 19, 2007, 04:58:54 PM
I'm still trying to figure out a way to get a gain control worked into that, as well as getting the tone control to roll off enough highs.

Other than that, it's a fun pedal that I hit every now and again. IMHO, it does a great emulation of the BM tone, but it really hits that Mick Ronson's (70's distortion) tone on 'Ziggy Stardust'.
Not very 'sweet' sounding, but isn't really meant to be. I'm really surprised someone hasn't tried to emulate this a bit closer.
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen
Present Project: '98 Jeep TJ

rikkards

I am pretty sure that is from the Freddy Mercury tribute concert right after he passed away.
Twas a sad day.
Quote from: Ed G. on November 19, 2007, 09:19:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAusElwg9Jk

Enjoy.
Pedals built: Kay Fuzztone, Fuzz Face, Foxx Tone Machine, May Queen, Buffer/Booster, ROG Thor, BSIAB2, ROG Supreaux,  Electrictab JCM800 Emulator, ROG Eighteen

oldrocker

Actually the May Queen is a Treble boost emulation going into a Vox30 emulation from what I understand.  I'll have to listen to the Ziggy Stardust and check that out. 
I have it breadboarded so I might work on a gain and tone control for it before I perf it and box it.

Valoosj

any schematics? I'm about to order a shitload of parts, so it would be nice to have this as well.
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Jim Jones

I love Ronson's tone from that period!  He was knownn for using a Tonebender with his Marshall Majors and a "%^&*ed wah" for the nasal Rangemaster-ish sounds.

I built the May Queen years ago - I'll have to dig that out again as I remember it sounding great!

Jim

wampcat1

Quote from: Bucksears on November 19, 2007, 04:58:54 PM

A couple of different ways for the gain control.
See the 150ohm on the first transistor? Try making this a 10k or 25k pot (variable resistor).
Also, you could just implement a voltage divider like a volume control after the first transistor stage. You may want to try placing it before and after this first stage to see which sounds best. My gut says after the first trans stage.

bw

Valoosj

holy shit  :o it sounds great!

deffinetly building this one!
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Bucksears

Quote from: Jim Jones on November 20, 2007, 08:28:59 AM
and a "%^&*ed wah" for the nasal Rangemaster-ish sounds.

That's EXACTLY what it sounds like. I was going to pull the MQ and use the three-hole case for something else, but now I'm not so sure. Like I said, if I could get the tone and gain controls working, it might be a keeper; it's a bit too bright for me as-is.

oldrocker

I like it as it is myself.  I like that it's bright.  When playing in a band this will cut right through.  Nice high gain touch sensitivity.  I can't wait to get this going.

snoof

I built this a while back, and I didn't box it up because I thought it needed a gain control as well.  I might re-visit it now, with the advise from Wampcat.  A SWTC might be a good addition as well...

rikkards

I will definitely try that out when I get to building it. Just waiting for the FETs to show up that I ordered from Small Bear.

Quote from: snoof on November 20, 2007, 11:38:01 AM
I built this a while back, and I didn't box it up because I thought it needed a gain control as well.  I might re-visit it now, with the advise from Wampcat.  A SWTC might be a good addition as well...

B Tremblay

As Mr. Wampler suggests above, placing a gain control after the first stage is a good idea.  I'd include a stopper resistor between lug 1 and ground, say 10% of the pot value.

Alternatively, you could replace the 2k2 source resistor with a 2k-B pot, with the cap between wiper and ground (like a Fuzz Face).  I'd personally try this.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Valoosj

and what about a tone controll? where would one add a tone stack? and any preferences?

Valoosj

Quote from: B Tremblay on November 20, 2007, 01:18:08 PM

Alternatively, you could replace the 2k2 source resistor with a 2k-B pot, with the cap between wiper and ground (like a Fuzz Face).  I'd personally try this.

I just did this on my breadborded MayQueen, it seems to do the trick :)