News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

pcb design

Started by dist, December 07, 2007, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dist

This might have bin discussed before but i couldnt find annythin useful using the seartc function.

I was just wondering who designs their own pcb's and what software you use.

A siple I DO and [PCB SOFTWARE NAME] will do.

Zben3129

I have only done basic pcb's but I use EAGLE. There is a free trial, just google it.

R.G.

I have done:
Mylar and black tape (makes understanding layering very easy  :icon_lol:)
Corel Draw (yep, drew the pads and traces with a drawing program!)
Easytrax (free)
Autotrax (free)
Traxmaker
PADS PCB
Protel/Altium
Eagle
ExpressPCB

It's important to understand what PCB layout is about as separated from the program/method you use to do it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

scaesic

DIY layout creator, see the top thread, if progress continues at the rate it has been, the new version will be out in months.

iv used eagle and Orcad too.

dist

I use the free version of eagle my selves.

The only thing that annoys me is that i have not yet found a way to copy and past a part of the schematic. Witch would be useful when drawing schematics with lots of repetition.

it has no autoplacemen of course, but the programs I've tried with that function was useless so that don't bother me at all. I like to decide what goes where on my  own

QuoteIt's important to understand what PCB layout is about as separated from the program/method you use to do it.

Reading a fantastic book about the subject at the moment.... ;)

theehman

I do and I use ExpressPCB.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

Samy

PCB Wizard ! The "real world preview" on this program is very nice...
It´s quite easy to draw pcb´s and the autoroute works well on simple circuits.
http://www.new-wave-concepts.com/ed/wizard.html

head_spaz

I use ExpressPCB. Once I'm finished, I do a high-res screen-shot and then export it to Paint Shop Pro for touch up and resizing before printing the artwork. I've had some pretty remarkable success using it. I just wish ExpressPCB had better anti-aliasing so the touch up would go faster.
I've tried Eagle many times, but it's just a bit too tedious for me. I really admire those who have mastered Eagle, but I really dislike Eagle's schematic program.
I also have Livewire 1.10, by New Wave Concepts, and I really like it for doing schematics, but the built-in circuit simulator is retarded and buggy to say the least. Quite lame in fact. I've been putting off buying their "Wizard" autorouter program, because it's probably buggy too, and methinks it might try to usurpt my authority, which is bad because I know where the hardware reset switch is. At this point, it's not that much trouble to layout things the way I want them, and ExpressPCB doesn't give me any static about that.

I also have Circuit Maker 2000 which is pro software that cost me a fortune (now defunct of course), but it only runs on NT or XP, and I can't stand either one of those OSs.

For now, ExpressPCB is meeting all my needs.
Deception does not exist in real life, it is only a figment of perception.

soulsonic

I'm in love with ExpressPCB - it's the quickest and easiest one I've messed with so far. The only thing it's missing is a function to export the artwork to an image file... I expect that's because they want you to use their service instead of DIY etching in your kitchen. But like Head-Spaz mentioned, there's sneaky ways around it if you're willing to put in a little extra effort. :icon_wink:
Check out my NEW DIY site - http://solgrind.wordpress.com

tranceracer

-I DO
-EAGLE Ver 4.16r2 "www.cadsoft.de/freeware.htm"

-tR

John Lyons

I use ExpressPCB. Simple and easy to use...also free...
I edit and size in photoshop.

Hey guys, I just hit "print screen" to capture my final layout, is this the best way to go with expressPCB?

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

joegagan

Quote from: soulsonic on December 08, 2007, 02:15:55 PM
I'm in love with ExpressPCB - it's the quickest and easiest one I've messed with so far. The only thing it's missing is a function to export the artwork to an image file... I expect that's because they want you to use their service instead of DIY etching in your kitchen. But like Head-Spaz mentioned, there's sneaky ways around it if you're willing to put in a little extra effort. :icon_wink:

i have a program  on my mac called 'capture me'
i can make a copy of anything that shows up on my screen with it. sounds like that might be a workaround but not sure if the image would need a lot of cleaning up after import/export process
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

cloudscapes

I'm giving Diptracer free a try right now. It's not bad, though I haven't used any other so what do I know.  :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

railhead

pjwhite

I use Tango PCB for layouts and OrCAD SDT for drawing schematics.  They're DOS based programs which I have been using since 1988. 

BubbaKahuna

Just getting into this myself and I'm doing everything manually in Adobe Illustrator.
I'm a graphic artists, so I use what I'm familiar with.
I'd love to find a simple component font, but the ones I find are not very complete or comprehensive.

Cheers
My Momma always said, "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
She was funny like that.

gaussmarkov

i use eagle.

Quote from: dist on December 07, 2007, 06:15:52 PM
The only thing that annoys me is that i have not yet found a way to copy and past a part of the schematic. Witch would be useful when drawing schematics with lots of repetition.

use the GROUP command to outline what you want to copy.  use the CUT command to put that into the paste buffer.  this will not actually cut what you have highlighted.  and you must right-click to send everything GROUPed together to the buffer.  if you left-click, you will only copy whatever item you happen to click on.  now use the PASTE command.

i hope this helps, gm

gez

Most manufacturers have demo software.  Download a few programs, try them out, then pick the one that suits you.  That's what I did.  I use Ares Proteus Lite [sic].
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

cloudscapes

for Diptrace, I wiped the libraries clean, made a single custom one with only the part I reguarily use. hell of a lot less confusing like this.
"generic electrolyte cap with two pins apart"
"generic electrolyte cap with THREE pins apart"
"smallbear-sized resistor"
etc
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
{DIY blog}
{www.dronecloud.org}

davent

ExpressPCB ->MSPublisher

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg