News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

pcb design

Started by dist, December 07, 2007, 04:57:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle_benny!

I have started using Diptrace.

I used to use eagle but i find Diptrace to be more intuitive.

And making a custom library saves a lot of time in the long run.

arma61

Hi

ExpressPCB->PrintScreen to PaintShopPro to create solder pads and some angled tracks with antialising ->resize, based on resistors size in PowePoint.

Keep DIYing
Armando
"it's a matter of objectives. If you don't know where you want to go, any direction is about as good as any other." R.G. Keen

darron

i do it all in flash. it's what i'm best at drawing vectors in. that way i can hide layers and change components across the file.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Rimu from New Zealand seems to be simple enough to be easily used, but flexible enough to do anything stompboxers would need.
Things like Protel have an enormous complexity & learning curve - plus Rimu costs $70 and Protel is 30 times that!!

axg20202

I'm still pretty low tech when it comes to laying out PCBs - I use the template pads, socket and traces etc downloaded from General Guitar Gadgets and use these to draw everything in MS Paint  lol! Works like a charm and no learning curve whatsoever other than knowing how to get it to print at the correct size for transfer. It can be slow going drawing out larger circuits but once I'd done few I became very quick at it. It's also useful because I can easily modify GGG layouts if I need to.  And best of all, *in childcatcher voice* "it's all free!"

moro

I've been playing around with ExpressPCB based on the recommendations in this thread and it's a lot of fun. It's a little quirky but pretty easy to use. I really like how easy it is to create custom components.

blindsjc

After a long time with TraxMaker
I'm in love with Sprint Layout 5.
Something makes my layouts a lot
better when using this program.

Thanks
Blindsjc

Rmanen

I use eagle, learned it in school, and its the only one i know works on a Mac.

Duff

railhead

Here's one I just made in Photoshop:

This is easier for me simply because I've been using PS for over a decade, though I need to learn the other apps if I ever want to get a board mass-produced.

jrem

Eagle 4.11 . . .    slicker than snot once you get the hang of it.  Steep learning curve, though.

5thumbs

I've been using Microsoft Visio 2007 for designing PCB layouts, schematics and enclosure drilling templates.  It's not the cheapest layout software around ($200-ish), but since I use it in my paid employment, it was easy for me to apply it to my DIY projects.  It works well for this task.
If you're building or modding a DS-1, please check out my 'Build Your Own DS-1 Distortion' doc. Thanks!

R.G.

As I count it, we're pretty close to one opinion per person.

This is why I think opinion questions - let along polls! - are a waste.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

blindsjc

It's great this way,
We know a lot of new programs, in a pool
we will be restricted to the listed software.
I'm downloading some of these to test right
now. Thanks friends.

Blindsjc

John Lyons

Quote from: R.G. on December 12, 2007, 08:25:25 PM
As I count it, we're pretty close to one opinion per person.

This is why I think opinion questions - let along polls! - are a waste.

Why would a collection of opinions be a waste? It's interesting to see the diversity of ways the folks here are doing things.
The post was made to see what people are using and it seems that the poster got the information he was looking for. No waste there.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Papa_lazerous

Eagle is very good IMHO, learning curve seems a little steep at first.  Mainlt because the library has sooo many components, hop over to gaussmarkov's site there is a library there full of components for us stompers http://gaussmarkov.net/eagle/libraries.html also plenty of other eagle hints and tips and walkthroughs.  I also found a few good tutorials over at instructables.com   Never looked back....  ExpressPCB is a bit naff I think

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Papa_lazerous on December 12, 2007, 10:36:13 PM
Eagle is very good IMHO, learning curve seems a little steep at first.  Mainlt because the library has sooo many components, hop over to gaussmarkov's site there is a library there full of components for us stompers http://gaussmarkov.net/eagle/libraries.html also plenty of other eagle hints and tips and walkthroughs.  I also found a few good tutorials over at instructables.com   Never looked back....  ExpressPCB is a bit naff I think

huh.  i don't remember what i did with my redirects, but they are not working any more. :icon_confused: the latest url for the libraries is

since it is being discussed, i'll just mention that the libraries now have European ground, resistor, and capacitor schematic symbols as well. :icon_biggrin:

edit:  oh, i see, papa lazerous is citing a link that is even older than when i went to php. :icon_eek:  the internet has a long memory.  :icon_wink:

Papa_lazerous

Strange Gauss,  I was thinking I should include a link and just googled you and thats what it said. Once its on the net its there forever ;)

gaussmarkov

Quote from: Papa_lazerous on December 13, 2007, 10:21:25 AM
Strange Gauss,  I was thinking I should include a link and just googled you and thats what it said. Once its on the net its there forever ;)

no kidding!  :D  that libraries.html file is dated 6/6/06.  i left those html files on for good measure, but did not think they were still getting hits.  looks like i have some housekeeping to do.  or not. :icon_wink:

railhead

Holy crap, I just built a schematic with Eagle using GM's libraries, and it was TOTALLY easy. It looks like I need the full version of Eagle in order to customize the PCB, though...